Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hens is brooding 3-4 fertile eggs. I'm fairly certain the eggs were fertilized by her current mate. Would someone please predict the chicks' outcomes if:

Hen = Either cobalt combination dominant-recessive pied, or cobalt dominant pied split for recessive pied.

**** = Cobalt YF Type I recessive pied.

Since my flock of 16 cohabits indoors, the sperm donor could be another male. How long do sperm survive inside the female's reproductive tract after mating?

Thanks in advance! :D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Sperm can last for up to 14 days.

If the chicks belong to this **** & the hen is a combination pied you'd get 50% recessive pied & 50% combination pied. Half should be yellow face and they will include all three shades of blue

If the hen is dominant pied split for recessive pied you can expect 25% each of recessive pied, dominant pied, combination pied & normal

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sperm can last for up to 14 days.
Wow! :eek:

If the chicks belong to this **** & the hen is a combination pied you'd get 50% recessive pied & 50% combination pied. Half should be yellow face and they will include all three shades of blue
Very interesting.

If the hen is dominant pied split for recessive pied you can expect 25% each of recessive pied, dominant pied, combination pied & normal
Once again, very interesting (especially the possibility of normal). Will half be yellow face and will the chicks include all three shades of blue?

Thanks, Nev! :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yes half should be yf, and all three shades of blue are possible.

of course you could get some completely different results if a different male is the dad...

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yes half should be yf, and all three shades of blue are possible.

of course you could get some completely different results if a different male is the dad...
Thanks, tonic. :D

The other most likely sperm donor fathered this hen's 5 chicks (2 in January 2009 and 3 in October 2009). (This promiscuous fellow also fathered my other adult hen's 7 chicks.) He's a sky blue double factor yellow face normal split for recessive pied. If he's the father again, I know what their babies will look like. :p

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hen = Either cobalt combination dominant-recessive pied, or cobalt dominant pied split for recessive pied.

**** = Cobalt YF Type I recessive pied.
If ... the hen is a combination pied you'd get 50% recessive pied & 50% combination pied. Half should be yellow face and they will include all three shades of blue

I forgot to mention the hen is also opaline and spangle. :p Would those mutations affect the outcome of her 4 chicks? Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.