Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a pair of solid yellow budgies, one red eyed and one black eyed... they had 5 chicks and boy was I surprized to get the colors I did... 2 white head blues, 1 yellow head seagreen (blue II ?) 1 solid yellow, and one that I am not sure about...what is this?

Here are its siblings

Here are the parents... their first clutch and my first budgie babies

·
Registered
148 Posts
well the first one looks like a recessive pied- that would require a copy from each parent. It seems like their split to blue, too.
does #3 have a white "fingerprint" spot on it's head? and maybe a white patch or so on the body? The yellow seems likely to be a dark-eyed clear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, #3 does have the white fingerprint on the back of the head...no white on the belly, what does that mean? Pied? And these must be split to blue... both parents I assume? I cage breed only with one pair to the cage so for sure this is mom and dad.
Are some mutations more costly?
I know little of the genetics but have been trying to read up and learn...so far I am totally stumped by this group of chicks.... but being split to blue makes total sense to me now...what about that seagreen one?
The recessive pied... both yellow parents are split for pied? How about dominant pied, only one parent needs this trait to pass it on to the chicks? I thought pied was a dominant trait... okay, I see I know nothing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
there are 3 different pied mutations, 2 dominant(obviously) and clearflight are dominant traits, the third is recessive pied which is, as the name implies, a recessive trait.
the yellowface is a little harder to explain, but I would guess that one of the parents is a lighter shade of yellow, maybe almost white in some places?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Which parent is the Red eyed? Is it the female on the nest box? if so she's a Yellow Face Albino (AKA Creamino) so that would be where the yellow face came from

the Dark eyed Parent is a Dark eyed clear which is combination of Recessive pied and Clear flight pied

so one parent is Visually a Recessive pied(even though you don't see it) and one is Split to it or Masking - and once you let us know who is who when it comes to the parents and their eye color that will be solved very quickly.

to get dominant pied one of the parents is Masking it - it's dominant so they can't be split to it.

and you got a clear flight pied because the one parent is a clear flight pied visually (the Dark eyed clear again is a combo of Recessive pied and Clear flight pied)

If the one on the nest box is the red eye like i said she's a Creamino Which is Blue Series , and the male would be split to blue to get blues and green series both

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Although the explanations of the different mutations is simple it to see all the different mutations in 1 nest. Lovely babies!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Can you tell us what parent is what mutation?

One parent is Lutino red eyes. Because of the color of the chicks this parent must be split for blue and recessive pied.

The second parent is a Dark eyed clear. Dark eyed clear is a mix of two mutations Recessive pied and Clear flight pied. this parent also must be split for blue.

1 Recessive pied, green
2 Normal, blue, yellow face type two
3 Normal, blue
4 Recessive pied, blue
5 Is this chicks eyes red or dark?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would put #4 as clearflight pied, blue
and I agree with atvchick that the mom would be a yellowface 2, albino, blue split to recessive pied and that would mean that #5 is most likely a darkeyed clear like his/her father

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow..I came to the right forum to ask these questions and learn. Thanks all.
The female is the red eyed and she is a soft yellow color with cream colored wings.
Here is an accurate picture os her color

Dad is more even and rich yellow color with black eyes. The yellow chick has black eyes and looks like him. The eyes were dark from an early age

I have red through the mutations and colors before but they are beginning to make a bit more sense now, thanks to some 0of the explanations. Being an creamino with yellow head is something I had not even thought of. Brilliant. And being split to blue I can grasp ( i breed lady gouldians so body colors are easier for me to grasp) budgies have so many more factors at play... fascinating!!! I am such a novice..I really expected a bunch of yellow chicks and to my surprize I have a box of skittles!
I have another nest full that is proving to be just as surprizing...I will start another post on them. Thanks for all the sharing of knowledge. This is a big help to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.