Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got pics of Chief's parents, and siblings from other hatches. But I'm curious how one of the chicks came out looking the way it did:

Parents

Chief

Chief's sister

Chief's brother- ??

How did that happen? :S

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I got pics of Chief's parents, and siblings from other hatches. But I'm curious how one of the chicks came out looking the way it did:

Parents

Chief

Chief's sister

Chief's brother- ??

How did that happen? :S
it won't when both parents are visually Opaline there for the breeder colony breeds and has no clue who the parents truly are

when both parents are visually Opaline the outcome in both boys and girls is 100% Opaline

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought so. I think these are the only two birds in the aviary he has :S

But I must be wrong, maybe there used to be other birds. It is the oldest chick so chances are maybe someone else was in the mix in the past.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
there has to be other birds there is no way humanly possible for 2 visual Opaline chicks to make a Normal

here is the outcome of the parents using the Genetic calculator 3.1

Males
50.0% blue opaline
50.0% blue (Aus)pied(sf) opaline

Females
50.0% blue opaline
50.0% blue (Aus)pied(sf) opaline

Even if I make dad split to cinnamon Every single baby is still Opaline ( I added the split to just to see if anything changed)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, must be something else. Or freakish mutation. Or "Chickie" is adopted ;)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Mom is opaline dominant pied sky blue and Dad is opaline cobalt.

Chief is opaline sky blue and Chief's sister is opaline cobalt.

As ATVChick said, since both parents are opaline, all chicks will be opaline; this rules out the normal sky blue male (clinging to the cage) as Chief's sibling.

And since Mom is sky blue (no dark factors) and Dad is cobalt (one dark factor), then all chicks will be sky blue or cobalt; none will be mauve (two dark factors).

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
i don't get what's wrong with the third chick?????
nothing is wrong with the 3rd chick, other than the breeder is telling the Original poster it is a brother to her bird when it absolutely can not be - because its not Opaline

So this means the Breeder colony(Aviary) breeds and has No clue who the parents are to the 3rd chick

Just another reason not to colony(Aviary) breed Papa's are maybe's and so are the Mama's

·
Registered
84 Posts

nothing is wrong with the 3rd chick, other than the breeder is telling the Original poster it is a brother to her bird when it absolutely can not be - because its not Opaline

So this means the Breeder colony(Aviary) breeds and has No clue who the parents are to the 3rd chick

Just another reason not to colony(Aviary) breed Papa's are maybe's and so are the Mama's
thats not to say that its a BAD thing to have a couple of pairs in one large cage tho, does it?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
thats not to say that its a BAD thing to have a couple of pairs in one large cage tho, does it?
As long as their is no nest box or anything they can use as a nest box - nope not at all I have 2 budgie community cages one is for American Budgies one is for English budgies and that's where they live when they're not Breeding, When I want to Breed a pair I remove them from the community cage and put them in a Breeding cage where it's just the 2 of them

·
Registered
84 Posts
and theres no chance that they would mate and lay eggs in the community cage, even with out a breeder box? besides i always thought that budgies were philandering animals (meaning they only have one mate in their life time)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
and theres no chance that they would mate and lay eggs in the community cage, even with out a breeder box? besides i always thought that budgies were philandering animals (meaning they only have one mate in their life time)
there is a chance they could but it doesn't happen to often.. only time I ever find an egg in my community cage is right after I put a pair in who had just had babies - sometimes they were working on another clutch rather I wanted them to or not and they'll lay 1 or 2(never had any more than 2) eggs in the cage but they just ignore them and pay them no mind

Not all budgies are monogamous most will pair up to any mate they're given some just take longer than others

out of all mine (and over the years I've had over 100 budgies) I've only had 1 true monogamous pair and that was Tweety & Casper - But Casper Passed away several weeks ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.