Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chile

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Budgiekeet 
#1 ·
Winters coming here. Time for Chille. This is a great base recipe. Sub fresh beans for canned its even better. I never really make it the same each time as I don't usually measure. I just put it in until it looks and tastes good :).

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
1 red bell pepper
3-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped green onion
1-15 ounce cans chili beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
4 lg tomatoes diced
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 bottle dark lager-style beer
2-4 tablespoons cornmeal
1 cup water
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

-Cook the beef and pork in a large pot over medium-high heat until the meat is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
-Heat the olive oil in the pot over medium heat. Stir in 3/4 of the red onion and all of the green and red pepper, jalapeno peppers, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the drained meat into the onion mixture along with the green onion, chili beans, kidney beans, pinto beans,diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, beer, and water. Sprinkle with 2 tbls. cornmeal, then add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
-Bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add up to 2 more tbls. of cornmeal if needed for thickening.

Tastes better everyday. Try to let it set for at least one night.

Serve with grated cheddar and diced red onions and enjoy :)

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.