Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks! There seem to be a few ceramic coated waffle makers now, that's good news. I also found a stovetop iron by nordicware, it's made from aluminum with some kind of non-stick coating, and the comments on amazon suggest it is a silicone-based and doesn't use ptfe - perhaps similar to USA Pans' bakeware. We'll see, this isn't that big a deal I can always turn waffle mornings into english muffin mornings or other pastry instead, or even just take the waffle maker outside if the weather is nice 🤷‍♂️

Meantime, the bird doesn't appear to like paper towels on top of the grates! He's been digging in the food all day. I found several threads and possible explanations for the behavior. It seems to correlate with the change in paper position this morning. Soon as I put the paper under the grates, he stopped digging. I took a video, it's hilarious, I'll find a way to upload it later.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Thanks! There seem to be a few ceramic coated waffle makers now, that's good news. I also found a stovetop iron by nordicware, it's made from aluminum with some kind of non-stick coating, and the comments on amazon suggest it is a silicone-based and doesn't use ptfe - perhaps similar to USA Pans' bakeware. We'll see, this isn't that big a deal I can always turn waffle mornings into english muffin mornings or other pastry instead, or even just take the waffle maker outside if the weather is nice 🤷‍♂️

Meantime, the bird doesn't appear to like paper towels on top of the grates! He's been digging in the food all day. I found several threads and possible explanations for the behavior. It seems to correlate with the change in paper position this morning. Soon as I put the paper under the grates, he stopped digging. I took a video, it's hilarious, I'll find a way to upload it later.
Sounds like he's successfully dug into your heart ;)

Did you name him yet? I don't recall seeing one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I've vacuumed more times in the last three days than I have in the last three months! 😭

edit - bead box, wow, that is hilarious, I bet it's adorable when they are digging through it! I have a box of lego pieces from my childhood in the garage, I wonder if I could use that, just to put things collecting dust to use.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I've vacuumed more times in the last three days than I have in the last three months! 😭

edit - bead box, wow, that is hilarious, I bet it's adorable when they are digging through it! I have a box of lego pieces from my childhood in the garage, I wonder if I could use that, just to put things collecting dust to use.
legos is probably a great idea.
I’m pretty sure that the Roomba was invented by a bird owner…

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I donated my roomba a few years back, now I miss it haha.

@wmcburke I thought the roughed up forehead feathers was a sign he was beginning to molt and come of age, or, perhaps he was trying to mimic my morning hair :p He's finally gained an interest in millet as of last night, yay!

Assuming vet visit goes well tomorrow, I'd like to start the taming/training per the stickies here since he's no longer startled when I walk past or change his water/seed. I have a small toilet closet in the bathroom with a door that should work well, but not sure whether two days of that would be worth it or better to wait until I return from a trip (I'm leaving thursday for a week, he'll be at family's house during that time). Following increased comfort, the second bedroom will be the next best, but I have to somehow cover/replace the mirrored closet doors.

·
Administrator
57,031 Posts
Personally, I believe it would be better to wait until you return from your trip.
Being at your family's home is going to be a disruption and taming works best when you have a regular and consistent schedule for the budgie.
To cover mirrored doors, I would simply tack up a couple of sheets over them.
Be safe on your trip!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Okay, thanks. With Chiribiri being so "playful" early this morning, I did want to see how he'd behave out of his cage so I did give it a go. Long story short, he ended up perched on my glasses, and had the gall to snooze while I was on a phone call with a client in this locked up bathroom-sanctuary 🤪 . But, it was only a minor victory, rest of the day he spent digging in the food bowl and hiding under the water bowl. So much vacuuming.

In the other thread, @spicyseahawk, you asked about toys. Nothing yet :( I'm going to swing by a pet store on my way home from the vet, at the moment I don't have time to DIY something for him while I am gone. I suspect it'll take him a few days to warm up to anything.
Then, @FaeryBee - I'll try to get a closeup of his face head on, but his messy-feathers kind of make it hard to see the bars. Yes, you've shared the diet threads, and I have a pickup order of rowdybush pellets tomorrow, but going to keep the seed mix for now with family, and focus more on his diet when I return. I have attempted to leave some parsely, basil, oregano, and romaine lettuce on/off since sunday, and he avoids it all. I don't have broccoli, but I'll ask family to give him a piece while I am gone. I recall from my childhood the budgies then absolutely loved carrot tops.. they would go bonkers for those greens. Total and full on eye dilation, mood changes, you could hear the 70's funk music start up they were so passionate for the carrot greens!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Vet said he's a little underweight at 25g, which is likely from his time in the wild. Other than that, she was excited to call him a boring bird because everything else about him came back normal (heart, lungs, etc), so I'm happy :) They recommended an annual fecal test, I'll scoop his poop when I return from the trip. Vet thinks he is older than the 2-3 months, because he can fly.

On the drive home, I picked up two toys (bird kabob and a little, colorful jingly thing) and a few perches to replace the dowels. Not going wild yet, a swing and more toys will cram this cage, so let's wait until I get his permanent home in a week. This independent pet shop specializes in birds, they had some cages that look familiar from amazon, but starting prices were around $300 :eek:. Are these cages really worth 2x the price, or is this just local-shop markup?

With his burrowing habit, would it make sense to put a little box or cozy on the bottom he can hide in? Or a larger food dish for him to dig and nap?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Vet said he's a little underweight at 25g, which is likely from his time in the wild. Other than that, she was excited to call him a boring bird because everything else about him came back normal (heart, lungs, etc), so I'm happy :) They recommended an annual fecal test, I'll scoop his poop when I return from the trip. Vet thinks he is older than the 2-3 months, because he can fly.

On the drive home, I picked up two toys (bird kabob and a little, colorful jingly thing) and a few perches to replace the dowels. Not going wild yet, a swing and more toys will cram this cage, so let's wait until I get his permanent home in a week. This independent pet shop specializes in birds, they had some cages that look familiar from amazon, but starting prices were around $300 :eek:. Are these cages really worth 2x the price, or is this just local-shop markup?

With his burrowing habit, would it make sense to put a little box or cozy on the bottom he can hide in? Or a larger food dish for him to dig and nap?
The cages are probably not that dissimilar.

As for the burrowing, I wouldn't put a box in the bottom as it may encourage nesting behavior; but you can play up his foraging instincts by putting in clean paper and laying seed on that instead of in the bowl. I think that @FaeryBee does this with her budgies with a lot of success.
Plus it helps him use more of the cage!

·
Administrator
57,031 Posts
Local markup on cages can be extreme and, in most cases the cages are not worth the excessive cost.
You can find excellent cages on-line.

Please don't put a box on the floor of the cage. Allowing him to burrow under the water dish is just fine. He obviously enjoys it so why change that? ;)

srirachasahawk is correct with regard to foraging for seeds on the bottom of the cage. It encourages your budgie to use the entire cage and helps satisfy the foraging instinct.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts