Talk Budgies Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The smaller amount of food seems to have made him stop burrowing... would it be better to just give him all the food for burrowing? It's super cute, but uncomfortable walking around barefoot!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
The smaller amount of food seems to have made him stop burrowing... would it be better to just give him all the food for burrowing? It's super cute, but uncomfortable walking around barefoot!
Try filling a bowl with something other than seed and see if he likes to burrow in that? It may not be a seed specific thing.
If that works, you're in business because you won't have to overfeed him on the seed ;)

The beads that were mentioned before may be a good for this?

Also you can try other digging stuff, like these. You'd fill these with a little bit of seed or a treat that he likes and watch him figure out how to open and get into it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hmm, okay, not enough time at the moment to do many tests yet. I installed the new perches and toys a little bit ago (let him out in the bathroom sanctuary area), initially terrified but after about 30 minutes he began exploring and hopping all over. Very animated little guy. FaeryBee asked for a better photo of him head on, here you go :) His forehead feathers are still "tousled".
Eye Eyelash Bird Beak Mesh

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Hmm, okay, not enough time at the moment to do many tests yet. I installed the new perches and toys a little bit ago (let him out in the bathroom sanctuary area), initially terrified but after about 30 minutes he began exploring and hopping all over. Very animated little guy. FaeryBee asked for a better photo of him head on, here you go :) His forehead feathers are still "tousled".
View attachment 258971
Very pretty grey color to him, he's a looker!

There's usually a warm-up time with new toys. He has to get over the "OMGWHATARYOUDOINGINMYHOUSEYOUSHOULDN'TBEHEREI'M GOINGTOHIDEUNTILYOU...wait...actually, you seem fine" bit.

·
Administrator
57,031 Posts
View attachment 258971
Did the Avian Vet mention anything at all about the white speckles on Chiribiri's cere and beak?
If you hadn't just had him in for an appointment and got an "all clear" I would be telling you it looks as though he has scaly mites because of what I'm seeing in the latest picture.

Additionally, budgies that are 2-3 months old can fly so that isn't a reason to think he's older than that.
Budgies can fly by the time they are 6-8 weeks old. From the barring on his forehead, he is still a baby.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Oh boy, it sounds like I should find another vet then? With her comment on flight and potential missed diagnosis of the mites, this doesn't bode well.

His cere has always had little white specs on it, I figured it was dust from burrowing in the seeds, or stuck on debris left from being in the garage (where we originally found him). There are other avian vets in the list within 30 minutes of me, I can setup an appointment on my return (I'm hoping one week delay isn't going to be detrimental?)

·
Administrator
57,031 Posts
You can wait until you return to take him to another Avian Vet.

I would think if it was stuck on debris it would have come off by now with all the rooting around in the seeds and burrowing under the water dish he's done.
If he does have scaly mites, the treatment is a spot-on treatment of ivermectin or Scatt for Birds.
The medication is applied to the back of the neck under the feathers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I arrived home late last night, intending to pick up chiribiri today. Got a call from family this morning, he was puffed up and not active as of early this morning. On inspection, he is puffed up, poop looks normal. He seemed kind of sad or just slow. He is eating, sitting on the cage, and does chirp. The good news, his cere doesn't appear flaky or dusty on inspection. Friday's 2nd opinion vet appointment was rescheduled to this afternoon, so we'll cover all this.. wish us luck. :(

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I arrived home late last night, intending to pick up chiribiri today. Got a call from family this morning, he was puffed up and not active as of early this morning. On inspection, he is puffed up, poop looks normal. He seemed kind of sad or just slow. He is eating, sitting on the cage, and does chirp. The good news, his cere doesn't appear flaky or dusty on inspection. Friday's 2nd opinion vet appointment was rescheduled to this afternoon, so we'll cover all this.. wish us luck. :(
Could be that he just missed you ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I hope so, although, it'd only been a week he was with me - while gone, he was pretty active, I could hear him during our calls, and he continued his burrowing, lots of chirping, even warmed up to one of the toys and began testing some greens. Apparently he really likes cilantro (but doesn't like parsley)!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
No scaly mites, yay! But, he weighed in at a very light 23.5g.. and doctor showed me just how skinny the poor guy is along his breast bone. Preventative doxyycline as drops since he was in the wild for who-knows-how-long (chlamydia is biggest concern), with follow up in 3 weeks. I'm going to work on helping him eat better food now.

It was interesting that the doctor seemed to push clipping his wings for now, as it would help train him, and then later I can let them grow. I told him I'd like to take the next three weeks to see if I can succeed taming him some, since I have a small "safe" room to let him out, and if I don't make progress, I'll think more about clipping them. We begin training tomorrow. I see this forum has training log, so, this should be fun 😁

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
No scaly mites, yay! But, he weighed in at a very light 23.5g.. and doctor showed me just how skinny the poor guy is along his breast bone. Preventative doxyycline as drops since he was in the wild for who-knows-how-long (chlamydia is biggest concern), with follow up in 3 weeks. I'm going to work on helping him eat better food now.

It was interesting that the doctor seemed to push clipping his wings for now, as it would help train him, and then later I can let them grow. I told him I'd like to take the next three weeks to see if I can succeed taming him some, since I have a small "safe" room to let him out, and if I don't make progress, I'll think more about clipping them. We begin training tomorrow. I see this forum has training log, so, this should be fun 😁
Sounds good!
Hopefully he gets accustomed to some tasty new foods :)

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
23.5g is very light, hope you can get some weight on him. If you decide to clip the wings there is a clip known as a cosmetic clip where 3 or 4 of the outer primary flight feathers are left untouched, the bird can still fly a bit this way and you don't have to be concerned about him trying to fly and dropping to the floor which is what would happen if all were clipped, whatever the clip it should be the same on both wings.

·
Administrator
57,031 Posts
I do not recommend clipping any budgie's wings. A budgie is more submissive when its wings are clipped simply because it has no choice in the matter.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are fully flighted.

Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgies or force them to be touched.

To bond with your budgie, you need to build their trust in you.
They will have to learn over time that you will not hurt them, grab them and try to force them to allow you to hold them.
Bonding is when the budgie CHOOSES to be with you.

If your budgie is underweight and all it is eating is seed at this time, then you should increase the amount of seed you are giving it each day.
I would suggest at least 2 Tablespoons of seed rather than the usual 1 1/2 teaspoons.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts