Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,285 Posts
Today I offered only a single millet seed from my fingers, and he took it!! He's still quite uncertain and I'm not sure whether he's connected the dots between the clicker and the treat, but I've got much hope now he's going to gain more comfort over the next few weeks. Yesterday he would nibble away at the millet nubby and I could feel his beak between my fingers, so cute 😁

I'm going to repeat this for a few more days. After that, would it be better at to try target training, attempt different hand configurations for millet (e.g. open palm, top of hand) in an effort to get him to climb onto my hand, or, keep at single-seed until I'm certain he's connected clicker to treat?

By target training, I mean introduce the chopstick to him.
That's great!
I would keep up with what is working for at least a week, then up your game to the target or the different ways of offering. Just change one thing at a time.

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,285 Posts
He's been moody, and not really wanting to train more than 4-5 clicks a couple times a day. So I'm just going at his pace for now. It might be because I installed one of those pumice safety perches in his cage a few days ago. He's been absolutely terrified of the purple.. uhm.. censored word thing, and expressing significant frustration now because I put some millet next to it in an effort to get him to overcome his fear. It's bittersweet watching him try a few times a day ;)
it's good that you are trying though.
Fear is a perfectly normal thing in a parrot, but you want it to be of something rational.
A parrot who is scared of purple should have that worked on :) You don't want him to get used to being afraid of things and then said things vanish as he won't be able to grow and move passed things.

Now, if he's scared of a Maine **** that you have wandering the house, different story :)

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,285 Posts
Hah, yah, I hope he gets over it. I also threw a large millet spray at the cage bottom this morning, it was entertaining watching him try to figure out how to get down there. It was not entertaining when he gave up and gave me an hour of alarm flock calling 🤦‍♂️
There are some nice noise cancelling headphones on the market..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.