Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first made this several years ago. I don't remember how it came about, but it's an original creation :). I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert cook, but I love this salad, and it's a unique blend of fresh produce, with a sweet but savory flavor.

First, set out all the ingredients:
Apples
Red grapes
Melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, or any melon with firm flesh)
Cucumber
Avocado
Onion
Pasta
Italian salad dressing
Parmesan cheese

Peel and chop all veggies and fruit (except the onion) and cube into approx. 1/2" or 1cm cubes. Use about equal parts of pasta and all fruit and veggies except the onion.

Onion - beware with onion, as some are very strong, and it can be overpowering if you use too much, so use MUCH less onion than your other fruits and veggies. Just enough to give a hint of onion flavor.

Mix all of the produce in a large bowl with cooked pasta, enough Italian salad dressing to spread over all the ingredients, yet not so much that you see excess. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and adjust to your taste. You might need salt too, so add salt to your preference. I think I recall I might have used cilantro too, in an earlier version.

Chill in the fridge until cold, and enjoy! :)

* you will notice after a day or so, a considerable amount of juice will come out of the melon and cucumber, and along with the avocado will make an unsightly 'green water' at the bottom of the bowl which you can just drain. This happens even more if you do this recipe without pasta.

Remember, this is 'chop for humans' :D since it contains avocado and onion we don't want to give any to our birds ;).

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,824 Posts
Julie that is similar to one from the Philippines called Macaroni Salad, or Chicken Macaroni Salad.

Boil or steam a skinless chicken breast, cool and flake
Cooked Macaroni cold
Can of Fruit Cocktail drained
Chopped gherkins
Chopped apple
Chopped banana
sultanas
Praise Traditional Mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

It is great with bbq steak or just on its own. Some recipes have grated cheese. Some grated carrot, some add ham as well. But my favourite is the above recipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.