Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First cinnamon question is:
Mom is cinnamon and dad is not. So all males will be split for cinnamon. I've read cinnamon hens? I think show up with red eyes when hatched and turn dark. Is that correct or do all cinnamon babies have red eyes and turn dark. Even splits?

Please explain the greywing gene.

1)If just dad has it in his background is there a possibility any chicks will have it?
2)If mom AND dad have it in the background is there a possibility any chicks will have it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is correct with the males being split to cinnamon. I bred a lovely goldenface sky cinnamon hen with a spangle **** . Managed to get 2 male babies one being spangle and the other a normal green. Both were split to cinnamon. I later bred both of these males and got myself my lovely cinnamon spangle hen. Because the male was split for it, if any babies were visably cinnamon it would be a hen.

As for their eyes, My cinnamon had plum eyes as a baby which i do believe did get darker. I'd have to go back and take a look for sure.

Im not so good with the greywings. I did however breed some but i believe both parents need to at lease carry the gene to show. Its recessive. So Lets say mom is a Greywing, Dad is either a greywing or split for it to show.
My pair i bred here was a dom pied greywing opline, and just a cobalt blue greying. I ended up with yf 2 greywing pieds. Not sure how the yf worked its way in there but my guess is a green bird can also be a yf without anyone knowing

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is correct with the males being split to cinnamon. I bred a lovely goldenface sky cinnamon hen with a spangle **** . Managed to get 2 male babies one being spangle and the other a normal green. Both were split to cinnamon. I later bred both of these males and got myself my lovely cinnamon spangle hen. Because the male was split for it, if any babies were visably cinnamon it would be a hen.

As for their eyes, My cinnamon had plum eyes as a baby which i do believe did get darker. I'd have to go back and take a look for sure.

Im not so good with the greywings. I did however breed some but i believe both parents need to at lease carry the gene to show. Its recessive. So Lets say mom is a Greywing, Dad is either a greywing or split for it to show.
My pair i bred here was a dom pied greywing opline, and just a cobalt blue greying. I ended up with yf 2 greywing pieds. Not sure how the yf worked its way in there but my guess is a green bird can also be a yf without anyone knowing
My questions are specific for a reason :) I know that all males will be split. That is all I will get from my pair. But I wanted to know if it is the cinnamom hens only who are born with red eyes and turn darker. Or if split males or cinnamon males also are born with red eyes.

As far as greywing, if it is recessive then one parent must be greywing in order to pass it on?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Any Cinnamon will have plum eyes regardless of gender. As for splits I do not believe they have plum eyes, mine have never had plum eyes.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I am pretty sure I read on here that someone got a greywing chick out of two phenotypically normal birds (which means they carry the greywing gene but look normal). Both parents must be/carry greywing to produce greywing chicks. I also think I read on here that clearwing and greywing combined produce FBC greywings. I don't know if that's helpful, and I'm very interested to see what Nev, Barrie, and/or Toni has to say as I have some greywings, clearwings, and cinnamons and would like to know for certain.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure I read on here that someone got a greywing chick out of two phenotypically normal birds (which means they carry the greywing gene but look normal). Both parents must be/carry greywing to produce greywing chicks. I also think I read on here that clearwing and greywing combined produce FBC greywings. I don't know if that's helpful, and I'm very interested to see what Nev, Barrie, and/or Toni has to say as I have some greywings, clearwings, and cinnamons and would like to know for certain.
I think you are right, I hink Spickey got Mallow through normal birds.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
good info so far!

yes all cinnamon babies have plum coloured eyes, but not split cinnamons.

greywing is recessive, so a chick must receive a greywing gene from each parent to be greywing. the parents do not need to be visibly greywing, they could both be split for it.

one greywing gene and one clearwing gene gives full bodied greywings.

if you mix cinnamon with greywing it gets tricky to tell if they are one or the other or both! always pays to make a note of chicks with plum eyes to help with future id.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Amazing information as ever !

I need to find my camera and get some mutation expert advice on my bubs, as I have a complete mix. of greywings, a cinnamon and pieds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.