Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I have a semi spangle cinnamon opiline diluted violet hen. I was wondering what color **** I would have to breed her with to get a bright violet or a white bird with cinnamon markings. Can I create this kind of breeding? I have been breeding her with a normal yellow face dark teal ****.

The babies come out to be
1 semi spangle opeline mauve
2 follow semi spangle mauve
3 recessive pied white with teal belly patch
4 recessive pied light yellow teal belly patch

Can someone explain?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Hello I have a semi spangle cinnamon opiline diluted violet hen. I was wondering what color **** I would have to breed her with to get a bright violet or a white bird with cinnamon markings. Can I create this kind of breeding? I have been breeding her with a normal yellow face dark teal ****.

The babies come out to be
1 semi spangle opeline mauve
2 follow semi spangle mauve
3 recessive pied white with teal belly patch
4 recessive pied light yellow teal belly patch

Can someone explain?
If you could post a photo of your hen it would help

The dilute, opaline and cinnamon won't appear in any of the chicks unless the **** bird is carrying gene for any of these mutations. Spangle and violet are dominant mutations so they should appear in about half of the chicks (not necessarily the same chicks). The reason you got recessive pieds is because both parents are split for recessive pied. You got mauves because of the dark factor in the **** and possiby also the hen

To get a bright violet you could breed her to a normal cobalt and about half the chicks will inherit the violet, which will show up well on the cobalt chicks. But to breed a white with cinnamon markings is not so easy.

White birds with cinnamon markings are lacewings. They are a composite of albino and cinnamon. It is possible to breed one from these 2 mutations but the gene crossover rate is very low so it could take a while. As they are both sexlinked mutations you would first have to produce a **** bird that was split for both mutations, then pair him to a cinnamon or albino hen (or even a normal) and cross your fingers

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your hen is a cinnamon opaline violet. She is not spangle or dilute. The cinnamon gene has lightened the body colour. She is a nice bird

Her mate is a type 1 yellow face cobalt (might be violet as well)

The chick is opaline mauve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.