Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I arrived on the boards the other day - awesome community you guys have going here, really useful information :)

I recently acquired two young budgies, siblings, but I'm stumped on mutations. Also genders. I got as far as "recessive pied... something?" for both, and that's just a guess. I need an expert!

(Sorry about blurriness, tried to get a few without flash for colour identification purposes)

Please help!

Cirrus:

Katsura/Ginkgo/Hickory/Walnut/???:

(Also, aww :))

Thanks again

Edit: to say they are between two and three months old

·
Senior Budgie
3,973 Posts
They are so cute!
I'm not good at mutations.
But i'd love to say THEY ARE CUTE TOGETHER.
One has all their wittle baby bars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks xbudgieloverx :) They are very cute together, although they sure know how to make a racket when they squabble. Siblings! :p

I like that the shape of their markings on their torsos and tails and heads kind of match, while everything else is so different. I think that's cute haha

·
Registered
458 Posts
Cirrus is a female Cobalt Recessive Pied.
Katsura I'm not sure about...A Light Green Opaline Recessive Pied Greywing? And looks male too. :)
They are so pretty by the way. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jen144,

Thanks so much!

I wondered about the greywing mutation... it's hard to tell what they are, especially with his flight feathers clipped! But the flights look like they might be a lighter colour, too. Also I was confused because I heard that greywings were supposed to have a generally diluted body colour? I don't know.

Brother and sister, eh? No wonder they're always bickering ;)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Cirrus is a sky blue recessive pied female and Katsura is a light green recessive pied and either full color grey wing or clearwing. sometimes it's hard to tell the difference in wing patterns. But I think Katsura may be a male. I'm not positive though.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Both females. I would say the first is a recessive pied cobalt hen, and the second is an opaline recessive pied full body colour greywing light green hen.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both females. I would say the first is a recessive pied cobalt hen, and the second is an opaline recessive pied full body colour greywing light green hen.
Wow, what a mouthful! :eek:

I admit, I'm glad to hear they're the same gender, though...

Thanks everyone! You've all been incredibly helpful, I came to the right place! If those flight feathers grow in orange or something I'll be back with more pics :D

Oh, speaking of flight feathers, one last question: you may see in the pics of Cirrus's wings that there are a couple of feathers, one on each side, that appear to be unclipped, sticking out the bottom. Should they be clipped? Were her wings clipped too early, or something? I've heard it can be dangerous to have them clipped improperly, and she is already not as strong a flyer as Katsura (although Cirrus is the baby of the clutch). I was reluctant to do it myself since I have not done it before, but if it's more dangerous to leave them...?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.