Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
What I do is remove the bottom part of the cage along with the poop tray, clean it with a disinfectant wipe and wash it in the tub. I also take out all perches and toys to wash those as well. I don’t know what type of cage you have.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I do is remove the bottom part of the cage along with the poop tray, clean it with a disinfectant wipe and wash it in the tub. I also take out all perches and toys to wash those as well. I don’t know what type of cage you have.
There is rust on the bars so that's why I have to remove it by cleaning and the cage is dirty (forgot to clean it before putting the birds in)

· Super Moderator
6,499 Posts
It would be best to get another cage, even if you clean off the rust it will return, it is very sad that your birds do not get any out of the cage time, this is not good for their health.

· Super Moderator
20,159 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

It is very important that you get a new cage for your budgies as soon as possible. Rust is highly toxic to budgies and even if they eat a little it can be fatal.

Please get a new cage as soon as possible and be sure it is large enough for the number of budgies you have. I’m not sure what the conditions are in your country for budgies sold as pets but please do your best to care for them according to best practices for the sake of their health and happiness.

Appropriate cage sizes and setup info can be found here:

There is a great wealth of information on the forums to keep you updated on the best practices for caring for your budgies! Please be sure to read through everything as much as possible and ask questions (if you have any) after doing so.

Best wishes!

· Registered
29 Posts
It would be best to get another cage, even if you clean off the rust it will return, it is very sad that your birds do not get any out of the cage time, this is not good for their health.
My two sweeties never leave their cage either. I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats who would love to get a chance at my darling birdies. They are very happy as they are. Their cage is very large and they often have short bursts of flight witin the cage. I live in Florida and during the fall and spring the doors are always open and if my darlings had free range they would fly into the lanai and probably wind up in the pool. Not all households are safe for birds except in their cages.

· Super Moderator
20,159 Posts
If your budgies have a flight cage or a large aviary then it's not necessarily that bad to keep them in their cage often, especially for their safety, but it appears the poster does not even have a cage that is the minimum requirements to keep a budgie in.

Additionally, while everyone's situation is different, every budgie owner should try and accommodate their birds as much as possible to ensure they can stretch their wings sufficiently and exercise, even if they don't leave the cage. :D

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your budgies have a flight cage or a large aviary then it's not necessarily that bad to keep them in their cage often, especially for their safety, but it appears the poster does not even have a cage that is the minimum requirements to keep a budgie in.

Additionally, while everyone's situation is different, every budgie owner should try and accommodate their birds as much as possible to ensure they can stretch their wings sufficiently and exercise, even if they don't leave the cage. :D
When its time I just have to chase them to put them back because they are not hand-trained

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.