Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out how to tell the difference Since everything I've read pretty much describes them as the same thing so that makes it more confusing

Well I've been told Bubblegum is Clear wing, then i was told he was Full Body Grey wing, then just Grey wing

What I do know is his body color is Not diluted or washed out. His body color is actually pretty brightly colored. and the pics don't do him justice his Green Is Grass Green not sea green, His blue is not turquoise it's Dark blue and he has violet through his body as well.

Granted this is for non yellow faces & Bubblegum is Golden Face

The Standards for a Clearwing:

Primary Flights: Grey/White
Primary Tail Feathers: Neutral with body or ground color suffusion
Cheek Patches: Violet
Feet: Blue/Grey
The Standards for Grey wing
Cheek patches: Light Violet
Primary Flights: Grey with minimal white edge
Primary Tail Feathers: Grey with a Bluish tinge
Feet: Blue/Grey Molted
and from reading on another forum (it's strictly budgies so I can't post it here) It said Clear Wings have lighter markings than Greywings. they showed pics of a few of theirs, and A few of them looked like Bubblegum

his markings are Light, His flights are Grey, His feet are Grey, his tail is grey He has light cheek patches, his body color is Bright

So any idea what he really is?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He could be a full body greywing or it could be that the violet makes his body color look richer

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

and Of course the only way to get Clear wings is to breed him to another Full body grey wing right??

If so I can no doubt kiss getting any clear wings for trying to breed true Rainbows Idea good bye

because I"ve not seen another Full body grey wing around here, I just happened to come across Bubblegum (with 5 others) on Craigs list a couple years ago and they lived in Nasty conditions and I couldn't pass the ad up. He was the only one like this in the group and the only one I kept Haven't seen another one since. :(

But I did keep his daughter her mom was split to Grey wing - she's a grey wing (His daughter is Jasmine) - Would be by chance be split to Clearwing or no?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
You could possibly get clearwings by breeding him to any of the dilute varieties (greywing, FBC, dilute or clearwing).

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
A clearwing budgie can have two possible genotypes - CwCw or CwCd. A full body color greywing - CgCw. So, to get clearwings from a FBC greywing, you need another Cw or Cd because the FBC is already giving you one Cw. You could possibly get clearwings from 2 FBC if each parent gives the Cw gene. If you pair him with a clearwing, you could get more clearwings in the chicks he passes the Cw to. A greywing has two possible genotypes - CgCg or CgCd. If you pair him with a greywing of the latter genotype and that bird passes along the Cd and he passes along the Cw, you get a clearwing. and lastly, the dilute budgie is CdCd and can only pass on the dilute gene. Combine that with the Cw from the FBC and you get clearwings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.