Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's recessive do you need two to produce clearwings?

Also if I have a cinnamon split male, how would I try to produce lacewings? A albino hen, correct?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, you would need two birds that show or are split for clearwing to ger clearwing chicks. As for the lacewing well...

male split for cinnamon x albino female
SHOWING
100% normal males
50% cinnamon females 50% normal females
SPLIT
50% split for cinnamon males
100% males split for ino

That means half of the male chicks have a chance of producing lacewing chicks. The percentage and gender of the lacewing chicks changes depending on what hen you pair him with. At least I think thats correct. Lacewing is tricky.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you would need two birds that show or are split for clearwing to ger clearwing chicks. As for the lacewing well...

male split for cinnamon x albino female
SHOWING
100% normal males
50% cinnamon females 50% normal females
SPLIT
50% split for cinnamon males
100% males split for ino

That means half of the male chicks have a chance of producing lacewing chicks. The percentage and gender of the lacewing chicks changes depending on what hen you pair him with. At least I think thats correct. Lacewing is tricky.
Sounds very tricky! I'd have to keep and breed all those males, sheesh. :)

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
All of my clearwings have come from clearwings and splits for clearwing, I have a huge soft spot for them and think they are beautiful :love:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Ok I think this is right. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

normal male split for lacewing x normal female
SHOWING
100% normal males
50% lacewing females
50% normal females
SPLIT
50% lacewing males

normal male split for lacewing x ino female
SHOWING
100% normal males
50% lacewing females
50% normal females
SPLIT
50% lacewing males
100% ino males

normal male split for lacewing x cinnamon female
SHOWING
100% normal males
50% lacewing females
50% normal females
SPLIT
50% lacewing males
100% cinnamon males

normal male split for lacewing x lacewing female
SHOWING
100% normal males
50% lacewing females
50% normal females
SPLIT
100% lacewing males

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Since it's recessive do you need two to produce clearwings?

Also if I have a cinnamon split male, how would I try to produce lacewings? A albino hen, correct?
If another clearwing or split clearwing is not available you could mate the bird to a dilute to get clearwing chicks. This is because clearwing is dominant to dilute.

Mating your split cinnamon male to an albino hen won't produce lacewings. About half of the male chicks would be split for both cinnamon & ino but you wouldn't be able to tell which visually. Even when you have a **** bird that is split for both mutations you still have to rely on the genes crossing over to produce lacewings. This crossover only happens in a small percentage of birds

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Please explain "crossover".
more or less it means to have the Ino & cinnamon on the same chromosome making both The Ino and the cinnamon mutation come out visually creating the lace wing

and it's like a 3 or 4% chance of it happening

I'm working on it but it'll take me a bit because I'm taking a Male cinnamon and putting him to an Albino hen All my boys will be Split for Cinnamon and Ino then I'm keeping one and putting with a Albino who is showing bleed through of cinnamon and working that way to get mine unless I get a different set of birds that'll give me a better outcome but that's my plan for now anyway

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Please explain "crossover".
there is a bit of a description half way down this page...

http://www.budgie-info.com/gene-linkage.html

and an example of how it creates lacewings further down.

i have re done this page a few times as i think it is more confusing than it needs to be, but i am still not happy with it so hopefully it makes some sense...:rolleyes:

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
there is a bit of a description half way down this page...

http://www.budgie-info.com/gene-linkage.html

and an example of how it creates lacewings further down.

i have re done this page a few times as i think it is more confusing than it needs to be, but i am still not happy with it so hopefully it makes some sense...:rolleyes:
I think it makes perfect sence Tonic! That is the most easy to understand explination I have ever read on lacewings :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.