Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if these 2 can be clearwings or are they greywings? Or what else? 03052011451 (800x600).jpg

03052011452 (800x600).jpg

08052011473 (800x600).jpg

08052011466 (800x600).jpg
Thanks for your patiece.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe that no one wants to leave a comment. Please I want to know the mutations of these birds!!!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I can't believe that no one wants to leave a comment. Please I want to know the mutations of these birds!!!
Its not that nobody WANTS to leave a comment Dries, there just are not that many on this time of day ;)

I am not the best at knowing clearwings. The first looks like a gull body greywing. The 2nd the pics arent very clear to tell to me :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong choice of words, but this thread is more than 24 hours old and usually it doesn't take that long for someone to say something. OK, I need to take better pics of the second one. I think you are correct with the first one - the mother is a GF FB Greywing. I'm not sure about the colour of the bird - it looks green, but there is a bluish shine in it. Here is a picture.
08052011468 (800x600).jpg Do you see what I mean?

Here is a picture of the second bird. Can you see more now?
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
19,551 Posts
Wrong choice of words, but this thread is more than 24 hours old and usually it doesn't take that long for someone to say something. OK, I need to take better pics of the second one. I think you are correct with the first one - the mother is a GF FB Greywing. I'm not sure about the colour of the bird - it looks green, but there is a bluish shine in it. Here is a picture.
View attachment 22168 Do you see what I mean?

Here is a picture of the second bird. Can you see more now?
[/ATTACH]
Sorry you havnt got a reply until now then :) I get excited to know things right away too :D

The 1st baby looks like a yellowface type 2 or golden face, blue series. That is why it looks like both green and blue since they yellow from the face is spreading onto the blue body, making it look green :)

For the second one I cant really see many markings on it, it could be a clearwing but I would wait until Nev comes along. Does it have red eyes or is the lighting just giving off the wrong color? :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
1st one is a YF 2 Sky blue Grey wing (just like my Bubble gum)

2nd one looks like a double factor dominate pied or Dominant Recessive pied since I can only see the back and the color is on the rump That would be recessive pied BUT a combo of the 2 looks identical to a Recessive pied only little to no markings (Like My topaz she's a combo)

and this is the 1st time I've seen this post - remember there is a lot of members on here, who post a lot of threads a day - and posts gets lost - most people don't go to each topic they just hit New posts (that's all I do I don't go to a specific area I just hit New posts every time I'm on here)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
They don't look like clearwings to me.

The first one is a greywing, it's cheek patches are not bright like a clearwing's (or a FBG's) would be. The blue & green mixture on it's body is caused by the golden face mutation

The second one is showing recessive pied with something else added (probably greywing)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hallo Dries,

Your birds above are really stunning.. great colours!

Unfortunate to hear that both your (and similarly mine) candidates aren't "pure clearwings"....

I thought I'll share the below extract on "GREYWINGS, CLEARWINGS AND WHITES/YELLOWS" from "Budgerigars -by Cyril Rogers"....

quoting p.64 =>
"Greywings, Clearwings, White (dilute in Blue-series, 'older term' aka Nev), and Yellows (dilute in Yellow-series) form an interesting group, all being Recessive to Normal colours.
Yellows and Whites are Recessive to Normalcolours. Yellows and Whites are Recessive to Greywings and Clearwings both of which can be 'split' for Yellow and White.
However when Greywings and Clearwings are paired together they give birds which are a combination of both kinds... and are known as Full Body Coloured Greywings.
These birds have the unusual grey undulations of the Greywings but with body colours of almost the same depth of colours as Normals.

If FBC Greywings is paired to a Yellow or White the expectation is half Greywings....AND HALF CLEARWINGS, all 'split' for Yellow or White of course.
It is interesting that Normal birds cannot be 'split' for Greywing and Clearwing (or Yellow) at the same time..or for both Greywing and Clearwing or Clearwing and White (Yellow).
"

I always thought that a mutations couldn't be bred "afresh"...without having genes in it's parents...but the above clearly indicates that mixing the FBC GW & Dilute creates such...(albeit that I'm still not sure if it's just linked to the other genes...or hidden by them due to it being "second-to-last" on the recessive rankings!)..

So maybe there is still hope for us in producing Clearwings from known Dilute -Whites (Yellows)...when paired to the FBC Greywings we have...good luck if that is what you're aiming at!

jdk

·
Registered
882 Posts
You get clearwings from breeding FBC greywing and dilute because FBC greywing is 1 greywing gene and 1 clearwing gene. Half the offspring will get the greywing gene and half will get the clearwing gene plus the dilute gene. Genes like this you can have any combination of the 3 genes and the most dominant one is what is displayed with sometimes some slight modifications. That makes the ones with greywing and dilute visible greywings and the ones with clearwing and dilute visible clearwings. You aren't making something from nothing anymore than breeding any other mutation.

CC, Ccg, Ccw, Ccd - Two normal genes or one normal gene and any of the recessive genes, resulting in a normal budgie.
cgcg, cgcd - Two greywing genes or one greywing gene and a dilute gene, resulting in a greywing budgie.
cgcw - One greywing gene and one clearwing gene, resulting in a full-body-color greywing budgie.
cwcw, cwcd - Two clearwing genes or one clearwing gene and one dilute gene, resulting in a clearwing budgie.
cdcd - Two dilute genes, resulting in a dilute budgie.
No one has yet to tell me how you are suppose to tell the difference visually in FBC greywing and clearwing though.

·
Registered
882 Posts
What I get from the comment on cheek patches is that FBC greywing and clearwing are both bright which doesn't tell a difference between them.

it's cheek patches are not bright like a clearwing's (or a FBG's) would be.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
What I get from the comment on cheek patches is that FBC greywing and clearwing are both bright which doesn't tell a difference between them.
A clearwing should have lighter wing markings than an FBG but some clearwing's markings are fairly dark and there is also variation in the shade of a greywing' markings. The markings on a greywing are usually more definite whereas a clearwing's markings are slightly faded on the edges. Also the tail of a clearwing is usually much lighter.

When the two mutations first appeared it was easy to tell the difference but now there seems to be a lot of birds that are somewhere in between.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
not to high jack the thread but I asked a similar question about one of the birds I have that I've been told might be clear wing, then told it wasn't it didn't match the description at all (to me it does)

I was reading on this site Under the WBO Color Standards section
http://www.world-budgerigar.org/

For Clear wing it states they have NO throat spots

The one I have in Question has NO throat spots??
the wings are clear of markings, the only markings are towards the back of the wings by the birds back and on the back of the head, and they are extremely light they won't even show up in a picture

WHITEWING SKYBLUE (LIGHT BLUE)
General body colour: rump, breast, flanks and underparts deep skyblue of an even depth of colour throughout, not less than 90% of the normal variety in depth and intensity.
Mask: white, with the throat spots completely absent or only very faintly visible greyish/white in colour. The white of the mask extending over the frontal and crown, to merge with the faintly visible undulations at the back of the head. The frontal and crown should be clear and free from all markings.
Markings:
on cheeks, back of head and neck faintly visible on a white ground, all markings should be free from any intrusion of body colour. Cere: blue in cocks, brown in hens. Eyes: black with a white iris.
Cheek patches:
violet. Wings: white, free from all markings Primary wing flights: grey/white. Primary tail feathers: neutral with ground or body colour suffusion. Feet and legs: blue/grey.

·
19,551 Posts
not to high jack the thread but I asked a similar question about one of the birds I have that I've been told might be clear wing, then told it wasn't it didn't match the description at all (to me it does)

I was reading on this site Under the WBO Color Standards section
http://www.world-budgerigar.org/

For Clear wing it states they have NO throat spots

The one I have in Question has NO throat spots??
the wings are clear of markings, the only markings are towards the back of the wings by the birds back and on the back of the head, and they are extremely light they won't even show up in a picture

Are you talking about your recessive pied girl? If so the pied gene could me masking them... just a thought if other things about her dont match clearwing :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

Are you talking about your recessive pied girl? If so the pied gene could me masking them... just a thought if other things about her dont match clearwing :)

ya she's who i'm talking about but From reading the Description she matches it Almost to a T

and I think being a recessive pied is what is making it harder to tell if she is or isn't..but I reckon I'll eventuality find out its not like I don't have a lack of Grey wings here to try and get Clearwings with her LOL

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your comments, but I'm not any wiser. Maybe oneday I will get a clearwing - not combined with RP. It sseems to me that all my birds are /RP. I love RP's, but would like to a get a clearwing. Jaco,hope that you can reach your goal as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.