Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Fuji has always confused me about his mutation. I always thought he was cobalt, but around the neck area before his crop starts, he is got some very bright purplish feathers. He is also split for R-pied (i don't know if that affects the violet factor) :S I don't know his parents either because i adopted him from a friend.
Which one does he look like more? here are a few pictures.
Thank you in advance :)
without a flash:

with a flash

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
alrighty :) here are a few: Fuji HATES the camera so i could barely get these shots, just let me know if you need better ones :)
Thanks Dean :D

Without a flash:

and here is the underside:

here is one without a flash, it is not that great :p

Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had never heard about this: [QUOTE] DF Sky blue?[/QUOTE] so I can't give an opinion.
May be without that knowlege I say he is cobalt.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I will be interested to hear this also.
I didnt realise it also went by what
colour their tail feathers are. Pez is
a strange colour.. Green & blue &
yellow... And I also have a violet :)

I would say Cobalt (inexperienced)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I had never heard about this: [QUOTE] DF Sky blue?
so I can't give an opinion.
May be without that knowlege I say he is cobalt.[/QUOTE]

I think what he's asking is, is his bird cobalt or is it a (violet skyblue) df skyblue. I believe it is neither, because cobalt violets have navy tails and have some purple coloring. We'll see if I'm right :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi

looks cobalt to me, df would be darker ie mauve. sky blue would be much lighter,
my answer is delute colbalt, hes lovely nice markings:budgie:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
He is definately a normal cobalt.

For anyone interested -

Sky blue tail - pale blue, often 'teal' in colour. May have very light blue or white part near the center of the tail, often closer to the base of the feather - more visible on the underside of the feather. This is the case for all sky blues including violets of any factor.

Cobalt tail - Navy blue, no white or light parts.

Mauve tail - Havent got any mauves myself, so going from memory i think its a blue/black tail. Have to check lol.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
No. Almost all the cobalts i have seen have violet around the neck, its normal, but they are in no way violets or carrying violet. It just means that the color is a deeper shade in that area.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Dean and everybody else for your assistance :) These genes and mutations stuff can be so confusing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
No. Almost all the cobalts i have seen have violet around the neck, its normal, but they are in no way violets or carrying violet. It just means that the color is a deeper shade in that area.
So they truely only way to know with skyblue or cobalt is to test breed if they're only carrying one factor? I'm sorry, I'm really trying to understand this!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Its hard to explain really. I can tell a violet in the nest immediately from the pin feathers. Right now I know i have a violet cobalt, a violet sky blue and a YF1 sky blue coming through - the others have yet to get coloured pins.

When you stand violets next to their normal counterparts, they stand out very easily in most cases. For example I have two half sisters, one a deep coloured sky blue, one a violet sky blue, and I also have a normal cobalt, a violet cobalt and a double factor violet cobalt. The sky blue, although deeply coloured still looks plainly sky blue, her violet sky blue sister looks like a normal cobalt but her tail is exactly matching her sky blue sister. The normal cobalt looks pale compaired to the violet cobalt, and the double factor violet cobalt is a shade deeper again than the single factor. I'll have to think of a way to get them lined up for pictures to show you.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Its hard to explain really. I can tell a violet in the nest immediately from the pin feathers. Right now I know i have a violet cobalt, a violet sky blue and a YF1 sky blue coming through - the others have yet to get coloured pins.

When you stand violets next to their normal counterparts, they stand out very easily in most cases. For example I have two half sisters, one a deep coloured sky blue, one a violet sky blue, and I also have a normal cobalt, a violet cobalt and a double factor violet cobalt. The sky blue, although deeply coloured still looks plainly sky blue, her violet sky blue sister looks like a normal cobalt but her tail is exactly matching her sky blue sister. The normal cobalt looks pale compaired to the violet cobalt, and the double factor violet cobalt is a shade deeper again than the single factor. I'll have to think of a way to get them lined up for pictures to show you.
That would be really nice. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.