Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been talking to a tiel breeder and he tells me he has this cinnamon available. 5 months old....any guesses on sex.....

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
too young to tell for sure, you have to wait until they go through their first molt to be able to tell visually. Do you have any other tiels? if not then I wouldn't worry about it, both genders make great pets :)

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,540 Posts
Aww such a cutie and same cinnamon pied as Rhaegal. To be honest, it's quite tough to tell his/her gender visually. Better to feel its pelvic bones:)

Reactions: Jonah

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no other tiel at present. Have had both sexes, and agree they make great pets. I kind of want a male though because I love their whistle.

Breeder says he is pretty sure its a male because him and his wife have both heard it singing. Looking at pictures on the web, I am not so sure. Thx Jill....:)

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww such a cutie and same cinnamon pied as Rhaegal. To be honest, it's quite tough to tell his/her gender visually. Better to feel its pelvic bones:)
Yeah...good looking bird...I wouldn't know what I was feeling brah....and I don't want to drive an hour and twenty minutes to find out...:D

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
Beautiful bird and it does look a lot like Rhaegal.

Perhaps you could ask the breeder to record the bird singing so you can hear it yourself before you make your decision.

I wouldn't want to drive and hour and a half to try to check the bird's pelvic bones if I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be feeling either! :giggle:

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,540 Posts
I have no other tiel at present. Have had both sexes, and agree they make great pets. I kind of want a male though because I love their whistle.

Breeder says he is pretty sure its a male because him and his wife have both heard it singing. Looking at pictures on the web, I am not so sure. Thx Jill....:)
Then it does raise the chances that he's a boy. Females chirp and do flock calls but don't really make melodious songs ;)

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I want to say male that was my first thought, you can do as Nick suggested..Feel the pelvic bone, that may help :) He is a cutie pie that's for sure :)
Yes...for sure a nice looker...:)

Beautiful bird and it does look a lot like Rhaegal.

Perhaps you could ask the breeder to record the bird singing so you can hear it yourself before you make your decision.

I wouldn't want to drive and hour and a half to try to check the bird's pelvic bones if I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be feeling either! :giggle:
Well, there goes the idea of getting you to come along for the pelvic bone test....:D

Then it does raise the chances that he's a boy. Females chirp and do flock calls but don't really make melodious songs ;)
I agree brah. However, the female I had years ago would sing a little. I saw this add on hoobly, and breeder was advertising two birds, and when he sent me pic's it doesn't look like either. Guess I will have to decide what I want to do....how big a deal it would be if I get it and it ends up being a hen...:cool:

My male tiel sings; my female only flock calls.
His crest looks yellow enough to think he's a male.
Thank you Diana....:)

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
Ya know, it's up to you, but if it were me, I would be already driving there, smoke behind my tires... Just sayin' :evil:
Either way, it's a nice looking bird. I hafta tell you, brother, I love my female- so much more cuddly than my little barbarian male. :laughing:
Also, if it turns up to be a girl, you can easily look for a boy as a companion to her. :D

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya know, it's up to you, but if it were me, I would be already driving there, smoke behind my tires... Just sayin' :evil:
Either way, it's a nice looking bird. I hafta tell you, brother, I love my female- so much more cuddly than my little barbarian male. :laughing:
Also, if it turns up to be a girl, you can easily look for a boy as a companion to her. :D
....And now, my mostest favorite tiel owner in the world weighs in....and of course every last word of what she has said, makes perfect sense to me....:D

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
The only way to tell with a pied is to either DNA or surgically sex. The pied markings tend to remove all the normal sex markings of a tiel. But personally it looks more like what is usually called a split pied but is actually a badly marked or lightly marked pied. You could try checking under the wings and seeing the spots. With a normal coloured bird the spots for a female go all the way up to the equivalent of the armpit, but with a male they only go half the way or the equivalent of the elbow.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
I have no idea on the gender, but I do know that it's a cutie! I hope you will get him/her! :D

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only way to tell with a pied is to either DNA or surgically sex. The pied markings tend to remove all the normal sex markings of a tiel. But personally it looks more like what is usually called a split pied but is actually a badly marked or lightly marked pied. You could try checking under the wings and seeing the spots. With a normal coloured bird the spots for a female go all the way up to the equivalent of the armpit, but with a male they only go half the way or the equivalent of the elbow.
Thank's Kate. I am going to check those underwing spots...:)

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea on the gender, but I do know that it's a cutie! I hope you will get him/her! :D
I am probably going to check it out tommorow...:fingerx:

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both of mine are girls and they are wonderful (except for the screaming :rolleyes: ) but you said the breeder sent you pics and neither looked like the bird in the ad? that's strange and unsettling
The screaming would not be good for me. Even though I am building a well insulated, hopefully soundproof, room/aviary in the basement, I could have issues if it annoys my wife. I tend to trust people and take them at their word, until they prove otherwise, so I will be checking the seller out as much as the bird. Will have to see how meeting goes...;)

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
It's not an all the time thing, but it can definitely be obnoxious at times. Ours are super attached to us so they flock call if they can't see us but know we're in the house. We are in a small apartment, so we have to shut ourselves in the bedroom when we want to make a phone call. And lately Chewy has been whining at night, not screaming but just a constant chirp. It's like when a human baby cries and you can't get them to stop. Every bird has a different call though. Muffin's is different than Chewy and she is definitely less vocal than Chewy. But her "fire engine call" is ear piercing lol she lets out 2 high pitched screams when she is scared by something, which is very rarely. Just a warning. We have been noticing it more lately because my fiance works long hours and they just want to be all over him when he gets home (and we can't shut them up) so it's kind of been an issue :(

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not an all the time thing, but it can definitely be obnoxious at times. Ours are super attached to us so they flock call if they can't see us but know we're in the house. We are in a small apartment, so we have to shut ourselves in the bedroom when we want to make a phone call. And lately Chewy has been whining at night, not screaming but just a constant chirp. It's like when a human baby cries and you can't get them to stop. Every bird has a different call though. Muffin's is different than Chewy and she is definitely less vocal than Chewy. But her "fire engine call" is ear piercing lol she lets out 2 high pitched screams when she is scared by something, which is very rarely. Just a warning. We have been noticing it more lately because my fiance works long hours and they just want to be all over him when he gets home (and we can't shut them up) so it's kind of been an issue :(
Good info Jill. I want a single tiel that I can hopefully have somewhat of a bond with. Sounds like your birds are used to a lot of attention, and I have to be considering that too, because I have days where I work long hours. If I have to build a heated outdoor aviary because of noise, I guess I will....:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.