Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have really been enjoying this site and have been reading and researching here to learn more about my birds. I have learned a lot and now I am ready to ask some questions. Thank you in advance for your help. These are pictures of the birds I have some I have paired up I love there colors but am not sure what I have so I was wondering if I could get some help with color Id's and if maybe you could give me some ideas of what the babies from these pairings might be. Here are my photo's I know they are not the best these little guys are so hard to photograph but maybe can be a start.

First pair male Olive green female pied beautiful bright yellow.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
This pair will give you all green birds unless both are split to blue, then you'll get half green, half blue. They'll all be normals like the male unless he is split to recessive pied. It looks to me like she is a light green. If she's light green and he is olive, you'll get all dark green (single dark factor) birds. That should be it unless either/both of them are carrying something that we can't see. I'm not an expert on genetics, and I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I thought he looked dark green (not olive)too, but wasn't sure. I know I have birds that photograph and look sky blue that are actually cobalt, so I was just going with what was posted.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
I thought he looked dark green (not olive)too, but wasn't sure. I know I have birds that photograph and look sky blue that are actually cobalt, so I was just going with what was posted.
It will depend on the tail colour, to me it looks black, which indicates Olive. A dark green would be a dark blue. It's hard to tell tail colour by photo's though....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thank you so much I will see if I can get a better picture tomorrow.

I thought the male looked olive but will look at his tail color and let you know.

So seems all agree that the female is light green recessive pied.

I am not really interested in breeding normal greens so what would be good to pair this hen with to get more pieds?

Thank you for all your help,

John

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Hi thank you so much I will see if I can get a better picture tomorrow.

I thought the male looked olive but will look at his tail color and let you know.

So seems all agree that the female is light green recessive pied.

I am not really interested in breeding normal greens so what would be good to pair this hen with to get more pieds?

Thank you for all your help,

John
unless she's split to blue you'll only get greens if paired to any blue

In order to get recessive pied the mate has to be recessive pied or split to it.

the only way you'd know she was split to blue though is to put her to a blue IF she is you'll get both greens and blues. Greens will be split for blue. OR put her to a Green you know is split to blue and you'll still get Greens & Blues and again the greens will be split to blue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.