Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the third pair I found these two at a local feed store in with a cage of very young budgies. I just loved there color and they were older full colored cere's they were hanging out together and looked like a beautiful pair so I took them home. They had there wings clipped when I got them I am letting them grow back. They are a beautiful light turquoise blue and look to be spangles to me. I would love to know if I would get more spangles from this pair. I am also adding a few photo's of another little young yellow face grey I think male he has a white spot on the back of his head and I was told this may mean I could get peids from him I would love to breed peids. If this is true what kind of female would I look for for him.

Thank you,

John

Attachments

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
The pictures don't show up well enough for me to see their mutations well, but if one is a spangle, you will get spangles and normals. If both are spangles, you will get normals, spangles, and DF spangles. The male is definitely spangle and I'm fairly certain the female is too. Is it possible these birds are brother/sister? They look like the exact same mutation (the hen may be cinnamon - hard for me to tell with my inexperience combined with the photo) and you got them from the same place at the same time, so, I'd caution against breeding them and maybe try different pairings with the other birds you posted about. You'd get some spangles from whomever you pair them with. Your other little guy will give you 50% dominant pied, 50% normals when paired with a normal (not pied)bird.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
I agree, I would watch out for them being siblings. They look like my boy Apollo, and opaline spangle yf blue. Not sure on the opaline for yours though.... The hen is just spangle, **** bird may be. If I was you, I would get the hen and put it to the grey pied. You would get yf blues, spangles and pied's....I think. Something along those lines anyway.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
1st 2 The female is Cinnamon Spangle and is yf type 2 sky blue - the yellow face changed the body color, the male is a Spangle and also type 2 sky blue - again the yf 2 changed the body color

the "grey" is a mauve he has blue cheek patches. Grey's have Grey- silver cheek patches so that makes him a Mauve Clear Flight pied

and these birds are most likely all related- When you buy more than one from the same store 85% of the time they're related and You need to expand your search of buying new birds if you want to breed. I won't even buy from the same pet stores in town to pair birds together because most of the time All the pet stores in 1 town get their birds from the same breeder (at least in my small town they do)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your great advise I was thinking the two spangle looking birds might be related as they are the exact same size and stand the exact same way. The little Mauve clear flight pied is from my friend and is not related to the spangle at all. If I took the spangle hen and put her with the little mauve male could I get some pieds and spangles?

Thank you again,

John

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thank you for all your great advise I was thinking the two spangle looking birds might be related as they are the exact same size and stand the exact same way. The little Mauve clear flight pied is from my friend and is not related to the spangle at all. If I took the spangle hen and put her with the little mauve male could I get some pieds and spangles?

Thank you again,

John
yes you will because both Spangle and Clear flight are dominant genes you'll some of both.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Does the mauve have some white on his belly/chest? I said dominant pied because I thought I saw a couple of small white patches....

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Does the mauve have some white on his belly/chest? I said dominant pied because I thought I saw a couple of small white patches....
there are some high up on the chest - I was going by the wings Dominant Pied's normally don't have markings clear down to the flights That's normally clear flight pieds - and clear flight pieds can have clear areas on the body usually around the neck area but most don't have any clear areas

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
These pictures are not clear enough to be sure but after downloading them and adjusting the color until they looked natural the first two birds look like yellow face sky blue spangles, neither looks cinnamon. I would agree with the others that they are probably siblings.

In the first picture of the grey bird the cheek patches do look slightly violet but in the second picture the cheek patches look blue which would mean that his color is grey not mauve. Also he looks much more like a dominant pied than a clearflight pied

I would not breed the two spangles together because they are probably related but if two single factor spangles are mated together the expected result would be 50% single factor spangle, 25% double factor spangle & 25% normal

If the pied was mated to a normal you could expect 50% pied chicks

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
In the first picture of the grey bird the cheek patches do look slightly violet but in the second picture the cheek patches look blue which would mean that his color is grey not mauve. Also he looks much more like a dominant pied than a clearflight pied
I totally agree!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your help. Man there is so much to learn and I have never been good with genetics makes my head spin lol.

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.