Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some natural lighting pics of my two new budgies today. :)

The green one is Kiwi. Looks pretty obviously male to me (but sometimes these things sneak up and change the rules on me :p). I know his mutation is normal, but what "kind" of green is he? How do you tell between olive and a grey-green? Also, for age, he has head feathers but no iris rings. If I read right, that places him around 3-ish months old? His beak looks like it has a bit of a curve to it, is it overgrown? I have balsa toys and cuttlebone in there, hopefully he'll discover one of them.

The yellow one is Banana. I think female? I know recessive pied... but I feel like I see cinnamon also, is that right? Brown tint to the tail feathers and face bars and such. (No real wing markings that I see.) What "kind" of green is that? And, is there any way to tell age of a recessive pied? Since they don't get iris rings and it's hard to see the baby bars and all.

Let me know if you need more/different/better pictures and I'll take them. Thanks for the help!

Pictures without flash (sorry for the cage bars in the way in some of them)

Two pictures of Banana with flash (from last night):

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Oh wow! The green on Banana's tummy and the face bars came out much clearer without the flash! The only reason I noticed the green in the first place was because someone else had mentioned it but now you can't miss it. It's so cute on her little belly :)

I'd agree with your gender assessment! Kiwi - male, Banana - female.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Green is male and yellow is female.
Green could be a dark green possibly olive but I personally don't tend to keep greens.

The yellow I am leaning more to double factor dominant pied due to the lack of markings however it depends if she gets iris rings, if she does she is df dom pied if not she is recessive pied.

·
Member of the Month
16,198 Posts
i love banana :love: her eyes!! oh waggle waggle she's so cute! they both are, going to budgie nap :D can't help with mutations, goes right over my head but his beak is looking a tad sharp, i'm sure your AV will have a closer look at it for you :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow! The green on Banana's tummy and the face bars came out much clearer without the flash! The only reason I noticed the green in the first place was because someone else had mentioned it but now you can't miss it. It's so cute on her little belly :)

I'd agree with your gender assessment! Kiwi - male, Banana - female.
:giggle: Yeah, she's yellow enough to be all yellow but that little bit of green is a great touch. Like an almost-ripe banana. :laughing2:

Green is male and yellow is female.
Green could be a dark green possibly olive but I personally don't tend to keep greens.

The yellow I am leaning more to double factor dominant pied due to the lack of markings however it depends if she gets iris rings, if she does she is df dom pied if not she is recessive pied.
*nods* I didn't think I'd get another green, I thought Sammy was enough. But his personality in the store was just impossible to pass up. I had my eyes on a grey female, but she was sleeping so I couldn't tell much about her... while this guy was flying, singing, flirting, head bobbing, all over the place.

Good point about the DF dom pied, I guess time will tell if she turns up with iris rings.

i love banana :love: her eyes!! oh waggle waggle she's so cute! they both are, going to budgie nap :D can't help with mutations, goes right over my head but his beak is looking a tad sharp, i'm sure your AV will have a closer look at it for you :)
:giggle: And yeah, I'll be making a vet appointment for them on Monday and I'll ask about the beak while I'm there. Maybe she'll sand it down a bit or something for him.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Adorable birds - especially the yellow one. I don't like green birds so much, but they are important for breeding purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.