Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Latest pictures of the youngest.
I can’t see any signs of Clearflight except the pied spots in the neck. I’m really not sure what to think.
Well, I think we can reverse engineer this now. And your early remarks about the hen are probably correct. Rather than being a Double Factor Dominant Pied, she is a combination Pied--SF Dominant and SF or DF Clearflight. That would yield chicks that are either Clearlfight Pied, SF Dominant Pied or Clearflight/SF Dominant combination peds. You appear to have two of those possibilities.

Regarding the clearflights-in-name-only in your clutch, those having just the pied patch, here's a passage about Clearflight Pieds from one of the bibles of budgie genetics, Taylor and Warner's "Genetics for Budgerigar Breeders":

"The nape spot is almost always present, but it varies considerably in size, affecting just one or two feathers in some birds or extending well down the back and round into the breast on others. While well-marked Clearflight Pieds have all ten primaries and both long tail feathers clear, many specimens show just a few clear flight feathers and on some none at all are affected."

Geneticists call the latter situation 'incomplete expression."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Question, @JennyKroll : I've been reviewing the photos. Of the two oldest birds, does the one that appears Cobalt Normal have a pied patch at all? If not, we can fine tune this a bit more and state that your combination pied hen is SF Dom Pied and SF Clearlfight Pied which would allow for Normals being produced. If that chick does have the semblance of a patch, then it is likely your hen is DF for Clearflight along with being SF Dom Pied.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well, I think we can reverse engineer this now. And your early remarks about the hen are probably correct. Rather than being a Double Factor Dominant Pied, she is a combination Pied--SF Dominant and SF or DF Clearflight. That would yield chicks that are either Clearlfight Pied, SF Dominant Pied or Clearflight/SF Dominant combination peds. You appear to have two of those possibilities.

Regarding the clearflights-in-name-only in your clutch, those having just the pied patch, here's a passage about Clearflight Pieds from one of the bibles of budgie genetics, Taylor and Warner's "Genetics for Budgerigar Breeders":

"The nape spot is almost always present, but it varies considerably in size, affecting just one or two feathers in some birds or extending well down the back and round into the breast on others. While well-marked Clearflight Pieds have all ten primaries and both long tail feathers clear, many specimens show just a few clear flight feathers and on some none at all are affected."

Geneticists call the latter situation 'incomplete expression."
Then this guy could have been one as well?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts