Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether you're new to budgies or have been keeping them for a while you will probably have noticed that there are many different colours and patterns on different birds wings. In this post i hope to explain in plain english what each of these wing patterns are and how to recognise them.

Normal
You may have heard the term 'normal green/blue'. Rather than the colour the 'normal' part is refering to the wing pattern. Normal means that the wing pattern is the same as in wild budgies, black with yellow edging in a green budgie and white edging in a blue bird:

(normal green)

(normal blue)

Spangle
Spangle is another wing pattern that's easy to identify. A spangle budgie's wing markings will be the opposite of a normal budgie. So, the markings will be white with black edging.

(blue spangle)

Opaline
Opaline budgies are recognisable by the lack of markings between their wings and also by paler head bars. Also, rather than white or yellow edging to the wings the wings will be edged in the body colour.

(2 opaline blues - left, compared to 2 normals - right)

Cinnamon
The last wing pattern i will talk about is cinnamon. Rather than a change in pattern this is a change in wing colour from black to brown. You can get cinnamons in any of the previously mentioned wing patterns (normal, spangle, opaline). As well as changing the colour of the wings, cinnamon also reduces the body colour leaving a very pale coloured bird.

(normal cinnamon blue compared to a normal green)

Feel free to ask questions if any of this has just gone straight over your head.:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
:dunno: Im going to breed my budgies and I was just wondering what colour the babies would be. The female is Albino and the male has a yellow head and wings with a turquoisey body.
Do you have any idea?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well unless the male is split to albino you wont get any more albinos, if the male is split to albino then you could possibly get albino females but not males. Otherwise i'm guessing you'll get yellowface and white face blues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what are my two birds. Electra is yellow. the head and wings and some of the body is yellow. and then it goes to green. and has black spots on her head and wings. then has blue spots on her cheecks then her tail is dark green then to black and yellow with some green. then the boy is light blue and with black on his back and head with a white head and blue cheeks.. then his tail is dark blue and white what do you think there babys would look like???? they are above..in the picture

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the looks of them in your avatar i would say Electra is a light green dominant pied and the boy is a sky blue opaline which means that unless Electra had a blue parent all the babies will be green.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, it's taken a while to get this far and i still haven't learnt as much as other people i know!

·
Registered
0 Posts
That is a very random thing to say!

Yeah Bea that was very clear and I agree you are clever to know all of that!

Um but what does 'split to albino' mean?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Split to albino is something only male budgies can be. What it means is that one of the males parents was albino and therefore he carries the albino gene. If you were to breed with a split to albino male to a blue female you could possibly get albino female babies. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
No, he isn't. Thanks Bea! So they'll maybe be what you said. Whiteface and Yellowface Blues.

·
Registered
0 Posts
wow bea you no alot about jeans if my budgies were to have babies what colour would they be my female is the exact colour as your male budgie blinkie which blinckie is very beautiful and my maly is blue with a white face dark blue cheeks dark blue tail what do u think the colour of the babys will be??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if your male is a cobalt spangle (like blinkie) and your female is also blue (what colour are her wings?) then you'll probably get normal and spangle skyblue and cobalt babies. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
my female is the exact colour as your male and my male is the dark blue with a white face blue wings and tail black patterns in wings?? lets just say this my male is the exact colour as the budgie at the top of the page where it says talk budgies the ultimate budgie forum!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh ok, then you'll get normal blues (like the one up the top) and i think spangles too....however, i haven't got much experience with breeding spangle females so i'll have to find out if there are any rules...

·
Registered
6 Posts
what if bred trisket and kieco???

This conversation made me wonder what my budgie's hypothetical babies would look like! haha. Trisket (the girl) is yellow with the fancy wing pattern and some vibrant green on her under belly and tail... Kieco is auqa/turquise blue with traditional wing pattern. You seem to know your stuff in this area, any ideas Bea?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, that sounds like you female is a recessive pied and your male is a normal skyblue. If that's right then you will most likely get all normal greens unless your female had a blue parent (making her split to blue) then you would get some normal blues as well, or your male had a recessive pied parent (split to pied) then you would get normal and pied babies. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
you amaze me Bea! how do you know all of these genetic combos??? I wish I was a fan of breeding just so I could find out if your right hahaha!:p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.