Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
After a very unsuccessful breeding last year (although I now know why! XD) I am going to try again come spring, and have started my conditioning today. Again, its just the two pairs colony breeding in a pretty decent sized aviary (yeah, yeah I know colony breeding...) and seeing as its the same females as last time and two boxes for each of them, I'm hopeful we will once again have no aggression.
I was just wondering about possible outcomes for the chicks, I'm still not great at this part... :eek:
Oh yes, and if I got any of these guys mutations wrong haha.

Anyway, pair one:
Minty: Light Green Opaline.
Her mother was a Mauve Opaline.
Her father was a half English Normal Cobalt Yellowface Type 2 (and his father was an English Normal Olive Green and his mother was a Cinnamon Normal Cobalt.)

Mango: Dark Green Recessive Pied
His father was a Sky Blue Recessive Pied.
His mother was a Normal Dark Green.

Pair two is:
Bobby: English Violet Grey Opaline (?) He is possibly split for Normal and Olive Green.

and Narna: Double Factor Spangle Yellowface Type 2

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
First of all, one of Minty's parents must have been some shade of green, two white based budgies cannot have green chicks.

But from her and mango you will get 50% blue 50% green, all males split opaline, and you will only get recessive pied if minty is split for it, other wise about half the chicks will be split RP.

Bobby is a normal opaline, and he can't be split for olive green because he is white based, which means he has two white genes. They have two genes that determine if they are yellow or white based. if a budgie has two yelloww genes, it will e yellow. if t has one yellow and one white, it will be yellow split white, because the yellow base is dominant. that means a white based budgie cannot be split for anything green, but if you thought he was split for olive then he may carry dark factor.

because Narna is double factor spangle, all their chicks will be spangle, because she has two spangle genes and spangle is dominant to normal, and unless she is split for white then they will have yellow based chicks, probably light green

^If any of the above is incorrect, I apologise, and please correct me.

Good luck, and sorry this was so long, I guess you could say this is my life.:eek:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I wouldn't call Narna a DF spangle. Looks more like a greywing or something of the sorts... She looks to be a diluted green, which you won't get if it is a DF spangle. Plus, she has markings on her wings and head.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, one of Minty's parents must have been some shade of green, two white based budgies cannot have green chicks.

But from her and mango you will get 50% blue 50% green, all males split opaline, and you will only get recessive pied if minty is split for it, other wise about half the chicks will be split RP.

Bobby is a normal opaline, and he can't be split for olive green because he is white based, which means he has two white genes. They have two genes that determine if they are yellow or white based. if a budgie has two yelloww genes, it will e yellow. if t has one yellow and one white, it will be yellow split white, because the yellow base is dominant. that means a white based budgie cannot be split for anything green, but if you thought he was split for olive then he may carry dark factor.

because Narna is double factor spangle, all their chicks will be spangle, because she has two spangle genes and spangle is dominant to normal, and unless she is split for white then they will have yellow based chicks, probably light green

^If any of the above is incorrect, I apologise, and please correct me.

Good luck, and sorry this was so long, I guess you could say this is my life.:eek:
Hey, thanks for all the answers, I don't mind it being long at all. Its possible I have Minty's father's mutation wrong. He's dead now so I can't look at him any more, but I am so terrible at mutations, he might of actually been a normal dark or olive green like his dad. I thought he must of been a yellowface type 2 because he did have some blue feathers lower down, though they tended to only show up in photos with flash? I don't know. :eek: That or she actually came from the other pair of that year and my memory is more shocking than I thought. Father was light green spangle, mother mauve normal (the mauve opaline's sister). I had birds coming and going and didn't write down what was going on! Terrible really, this was before I had a clue what I was doing and my parents insisted on me "leaving them alone and letting them get to it."

I didn't know about Bobby at all, it was just a guess from what else was in the aviary, there was only greys and olive greens, normals and opalines, but this was only the birds for sale, he may not have been related to them at all.

Haha I am terrible. Thanks for all the help and info though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't call Narna a DF spangle. Looks more like a greywing or something of the sorts... She looks to be a diluted green, which you won't get if it is a DF spangle. Plus, she has markings on her wings and head.
Hmm, thanks. It was someone on here that told me she was a DF spangle and I just went with it, but perhaps they were wrong?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
You can’t ever be sure about the parents of colony bred birds – Minty’s mother can’t have been a mauve because a parent with 2 dark factors can’t produce a chick with no dark factor. Also one of her parents must have been green series because you can’t get a green series bird from 2 blue series birds

Minty & Mango are probably both split for blue so you can expect about 25% blue series & 75% green series chicks. They will be normals unless Mango is split for opaline or Minty is split for recessive pied

If some of Minty’s chicks are fathered by Bobby (as often happens with colony breeding) they will be all opaline. The colours will include :- green, grey grey green, blue & grey

Bobby cannot be split for normal or olive green. Blue series birds (including grey & white) can’t be split for green series. All the female chicks from an opaline male will be opaline. The male chicks will not be opaline unless the opaline male is mated to an opaline hen
Narna is not a double factor spangle. She is a Yellow face dilute.
If they are not split for other mutations their female chicks will all be opaline and the males will be normals. The colours will including grey, blue, yellow face grey & yellow face blue.

If some of Narna’s chicks are fathered by Mango you will get some greens and yellow face blues

You will only get recessive pied or dilute chicks if the other parent also has the gene. All of Mangos chicks will be split for recessive pied & all of Narna's chicks will be split for dilute

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't ever be sure about the parents of colony bred birds - Minty's mother can't have been a mauve because a parent with 2 dark factors can't produce a chick with no dark factor. Also one of her parents must have been green series because you can't get a green series bird from 2 blue series birds

Minty & Mango are probably both split for blue so you can expect about 25% blue series & 75% green series chicks. They will be normals unless Mango is split for opaline or Minty is split for recessive pied

If some of Minty's chicks are fathered by Bobby (as often happens with colony breeding) they will be all opaline. The colours will include :- green, grey grey green, blue & grey

Bobby cannot be split for normal or olive green. Blue series birds (including grey & white) can't be split for green series. All the female chicks from an opaline male will be opaline. The male chicks will not be opaline unless the opaline male is mated to an opaline hen
Narna is not a double factor spangle. She is a Yellow face dilute.
If they are not split for other mutations their female chicks will all be opaline and the males will be normals. The colours will including grey, blue, yellow face grey & yellow face blue.

If some of Narna's chicks are fathered by Mango you will get some greens and yellow face blues

You will only get recessive pied or dilute chicks if the other parent also has the gene. All of Mangos chicks will be split for recessive pied & all of Narna's chicks will be split for dilute
Thank you so much for all that! I guess the moral here is colony breeding is really confusing unless you watch and record 24/7. :rolleyes: I wouldn't colony breed if I did have another option but unfortunately I can't...
As for Minty's mother, it might have just been me being terrible with mutations as per usual, she was definitely a darker blue of some kind.

I'm hoping everyone will stay with who they are bonded with but you never know I guess. Nobody is related fortunately so I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Thanks again, you are so knowledgeable! I feel so silly now! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.