Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and I have a brand new flock of lovely baby budgies that I absolutely adore! Merengue is one of the biggest personalities in the flock and I'm really confused as to what type he is even after lots of research.

In fact I'm so confused by him I'm not even sure if he is a he lol I'm new to sexing baby budgies but I think he is a he so I'll go with that for now.

He is mostly yellow with light patches of white and green and has a white cheek patch on one side but a violet (?) patch on the other. He never sits still so it's hard to see his eyes but I *think* I see rings around the iris in one of the pictures?? Also his face looks darker yellow than the rest of him so does that mean anything? HELP! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My other question is about two of my girls...

Are they dark eyed clears or df spangles?

The guides stated that mature spangles would have iris rings but how mature is mature?

Nyla is all white with black lines on her flight feathers and Gandalf is suffused with grey on her body with very feint markings on her wings

Attachments

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure he'd be happy to hear that you think so! He's quite full of himself lol

I absolutely love your little one on the left, I've been admiring your sig. while lurking :) such pretty coloring and markings.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm sure he'd be happy to hear that you think so! He's quite full of himself lol

I absolutely love your little one on the left, I've been admiring your sig. while lurking :) such pretty coloring and markings.
that would be flower he has lite grey marking on him just here and there i was told he is a sky blue grey recessive pied i believe that was it i am not good with mutations

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wish I could help but I am not good at reconizing the lighter marked budgies. It would help a lot if you knew the parents but that isn't always possible. You can tell a df spangle from a dark eyed clear and a recessive pied from the iris rings- at one year of age they should be very clear and at 7-8 months starting to develop.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could help but I am not good at reconizing the lighter marked budgies. It would help a lot if you knew the parents but that isn't always possible. You can tell a df spangle from a dark eyed clear and a recessive pied from the iris rings- at one year of age they should be very clear and at 7-8 months starting to develop.
Thanks so much for that info about the iris rings. I don't know Merengue's parentage because he came from a large colony bred aviary :( actually out of all my babies, only 2 of them I know what the parents looked like because they all either came from a shop or were in a large colony. There could be a lot of surprises at breeding time. Each place I went to I only bought all hens or all cocks so that I wouldn't have to worry about inbreeding but other than that I know very little.

One more question about this subject! If anyone has any ideas.

I'm not quite sure on Wattle's colouring/mutation. I have my guesses but I just wanted to make sure I'm right :p

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi, I think merengue is a pied (sky?) blue goldenface budgie. I am basing that on the fact that he has white patches both on his wing tips and on his chest/tummy. I believe the deep yellow from his goldenface mutation has spread down his body turning him mostly yellow, and mixing with his blue patches to create green. But some parts of his body have retained the original white base colour. He is very very beautiful. My pied budgie Iggy twiggy also has one white and one blue cheek patch :)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
His eyes aren't red. I was thinking sky blue df dominant pied sf goldenface. His face is so much darker than all the yellowface pictures I've seen. Today I was watching him stretch and the green patch on his rump really did look more sea foam green as his feathers fluffed up.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, I think merengue is a pied (sky?) blue goldenface budgie. I am basing that on the fact that he has white patches both on his wing tips and on his chest/tummy. I believe the deep yellow from his goldenface mutation has spread down his body turning him mostly yellow, and mixing with his blue patches to create green. But some parts of his body have retained the original white base colour. He is very very beautiful. My pied budgie Iggy twiggy also has one white and one blue cheek patch :)
LOL I probably should have refreshed before posting! I'm glad we're on the same page!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My question now is: Is Wattle Goldenface too? She has the same dark golden face and the light wing tips. Around her rump I can see blue tones. She's decided Merengue is all hers so it's quite likely that they will be a breeding pair next year. She always sat in the corner ignoring the other budgies and chattering angrily at them when they happened to come near her but when I introduced Merengue she wouldn't leave him alone. At first he was annoyed with her constant attention but now he seems to enjoy it lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.