Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there ! I'm a new member here as well as a new budgie owner.

My beloved friend was given to me exactly a year ago when he was 2 months old from his previous owner and based on his experience, he made it clear to me that it was a male. The cere of my budgie was light blue until about 2-3 weeks ago. Now the cere has turned into a brown color and i am wondering if the gender the previous owner told me was right.
Just to mention, he/she is one year old and doesn't seem sick to me at all.
He/she is outside of the cage for the most part of the day and i consider his/her diet excellent (fresh fruit and vegetables, pellets etc).
Also I read that female budgies don't talk so much, but he/she has learnt a lot of words and talks to me all the time !
An avian vet is difficult for me because of the town i live. Its approximately 8 hours and it isn't that much of a big deal to make such a big trip considering the previous owner was probably wrong 馃榿

Thank you for your time!!

Here he/she is just few months old

Head Bird Hand Eye Beak

Face Hair Head Bird Eye

And here he/she is the last 2-3 weekends
Face Bird Eye Vertebrate Beak

Attachments

Super Moderator
This bird is a female. A female can have a very pale blue cere initially, if this bird was a male the cere would have been initially pink and would turn a dark blue as it matures. Your bird's cere is now turning the color of a mature hen and you can expect that the cere will get even darker brown.

Administrator
What is your pretty little girl's name?

Please make sure you never put a nest box or anything in her cage that could be used as a nesting site.
Females can lay eggs even when they are solo birds.
Limit her daylight hours when she is in condition (as she is now) to no more than 8 hours per day to help prevent her from becoming broody.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads 鈥渟tuck鈥 at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forums!

You have been given great advice above by FaeryBee and Cody and I agree completely. She is indeed a beautiful little girl :) Though it's not as common for females to have completely pale blue ceres when so young, it's definitely still a characteristic of immature female budgies, since as mentioned any young male has a pink or purple cere with no hint of beige or white. The good thing is that her cere looks totally normal :)

Additionally, it's great to have you on the forums. If you haven't already, be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies", most of which have been provided above, to ensure you're up to date on everything!

If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Please keep us updated on your little girl! She's precious :D

Best wishes!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This bird is a female. A female can have a very pale blue cere initially, if this bird was a male the cere would have been initially pink and would turn a dark blue as it matures. Your bird's cere is now turning the color of a mature hen and you can expect that the cere will get even darker brown.
Thank you!!

If
What is your pretty little girl's name?

Please make sure you never put a nest box or anything in her cage that could be used as a nesting site.
Females can lay eggs even when they are solo birds.
Limit her daylight hours when she is in condition (as she is now) to no more than 8 hours per day to help prevent her from becoming broody.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads 鈥渟tuck鈥 at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Her name is Tito. Tito Patrikios is a famous writer here in Greece.
She has learnt her name and pronouces it very clearly 馃槏

Thank you so much for your reply !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.