Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided to add a new member to out family but can't decide. We want to step up to a little bigger bird and have don tons of reaserch on both but can't decide. Tiels are cheaper than conures so I don't want the $ to make me lean in that direction. We want a bird that will be able to be around our budgies and 3 kids. I was hoping to get opinions on this. The other option I was thinking of was 2 more budgies but that would mean 2 becomes 4 instantly which sounds crazy lol. I don't want to end up being one of those bird collectors if you know what I mean (lol I'm only 28) I was wondering thoughts of adding a bigger bird or 2 more budgies.

·
Administrator
59,649 Posts
Having two different species of birds isn't easy.
You need to be aware of how/when/where each species will have separate out-of-cage time.

You won't want to allow a conure near your budgies as it could injure them very severely.

Even if you decide to get a cockatiel rather than a conure, there is no guarantee that your two budgies won't be aggressive toward the more docile natured tiel.

Please take the time to read the threads linked below and do a good deal of thinking before deciding to bring additional pets into your home.
Ask yourself why you feel the need to have add any additional pets at this time. ;)

For those considering a larger bird.. - Talk Budgies Forums

Do you really want another pet? - Talk Budgies Forums

http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/55420-prepared-veterinary-care-expense.html

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,118 Posts
Cockatiels and budgies can get along but it is best not to house them together. The cockatiel needs to be able to get away from those annoying little ones. They can of course enjoy out of cage time with you supervising to ensure they are playing nice.

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
I have a tiel in my budgie room but he stays in a cage. I do let him have time with them with me supervising, and there has been no problems...:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cockatiels and budgies can get along but it is best not to house them together. The cockatiel needs to be able to get away from those annoying little ones. They can of course enjoy out of cage time with you supervising to ensure they are playing nice.
I wasn't planning on housing them together, out of cage time is always supervised with my guys. I am usually bugging them with love and attention the whole time anyways lol. We have kids so it's very very supervised to begin with.

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts

Reactions: kwatson

·
Registered
346 Posts
I house my 8 budgies with 4 tiels in a large flight cage. I do not have any problems regarding fighting etc. Both species keep to themselves in different parts of the aviary but do interact a lot and even roost together. In fact , I feel its better since the budgies are encouraged to eat their veggies and greens by watching the tiels. The usually laidback tiels started playing with toys they wouldn't be interested in normally by watching the budgies. It worked out perfectly in my case.
I know it isn't recommended , but I did get to know each of my birds' personalities before trying it . They were in separate cages for a few years . After watching them interact outside their cages for about a year , I decided to give it a try . :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
My conures dont get along with any other bird.In fact they hate each other too.
Very jealous birds, especially the greencheek and very clingy and needy.Not trying to dissuade you or anything just saying how mine are.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm only 28 and I have 11 budgies lol ;)
I would go with a tiel they make great companions!!
Haha I don't think my hubby would let me get more than one bird now. It seems as If we already have a zoo with our 2 bearded dragons chinese water dragon, 2 cats, 2 budgies and our 3 kids lol.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We decided we will be getting a baby tiel. Would you guys recommend a male or female. We saw an albino baby that was so cute. We can put down a deposit till weaned and can come in as many times as we want to visit till we take him/her home. I'm so excited but nervous to have a baby. This is going to be our family christmas gift so we have a few more weeks to get ready.

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
That is awesome Lilli...I do not think you will be disappointed with a tiel. Is the breeder hand feeding ? It is great that you will be able to get him or her at a young age and will certainly help with bonding. I can't make a recommendation on sex. If you like whistling, males love to whistle, although years ago I had a pair and the female whistled plenty too. I think either sex will be fine for you. Be prepared though, as Dee has said, they are needy little bird's....they love attention from their human's...:)

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,118 Posts
Congrats on finding your next flock member. I too have heard that males are more vocal than the female equivalent. My memory of my grandparents female tiel was of quite a noisy bird though. A friends male barely makes a peep and another friends male used to talk up a storm. So I imagine personality comes into play as much as gender.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is awesome Lilli...I do not think you will be disappointed with a tiel. Is the breeder hand feeding ? It is great that you will be able to get him or her at a young age and will certainly help with bonding. I can't make a recommendation on sex. If you like whistling, males love to whistle, although years ago I had a pair and the female whistled plenty too. I think either sex will be fine for you. Be prepared though, as Dee has said, they are needy little bird's....they love attention from their human's...:)
Yes, he or she will be hand fed and I can come in and help if I wanted. Glad to hear they are needy because that's what I was looking for since my budgies are not lol. My youngest just started going to school and I am home alone for the first time in 10 years lol. I will enjoy the companionship while my kiddos and husband are gone.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, he or she will be hand fed and I can come in and help if I wanted. Glad to hear they are needy because that's what I was looking for since my budgies are not lol. My youngest just started going to school and I am home alone for the first time in 10 years lol. I will enjoy the companionship while my kiddos and husband are gone.
I would like a girl since we have 3 lizards that are boys lol we have very few females in our house if males talk more that I might go with one. our female budgie is very chatty though so you never know

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Cockatiels and Conures are both very needy birds, especially if you are keeping only one, they usually become very dependent on you. Both species have known to interact well with budgies, but budgies can definitely be buggers to them! I have an English Budgie and he is a very mellow bird, but he will chase my tiels around when he is bored because he wants to talk RIGHT to their faces. Both my tiel girls are very passive and will just try to run away, but my budgie can be very annoying to them. Conures are more prone to "fighting back" and are known to be a bird with a stronger personality than a cockatiel. Both species would be a great choice for yourself (of course I am biased because I have two cockatiels and they are just loves!) I would try to interact with both species in person if you can and see what you might like better :)

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Well that little tiel, boy or girl, will be just the ticket to fill your partial day empty nest...;)
Looking forward to pics, and you don't have to wait, until you get it. I would go visit, and even hand feed if that has been made available to you. You and the bird will both benefit greatly from that. This is pretty exciting, and I am glad you're sharing with us...:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.