Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
While still working on Chiribiri's transition to pellets and fresh foods, I need to feed him seeds. I'm drawn to the idea of making my own seed mix based on the guide here, primarily because I can purchase organic, and I haven't found any organic seed mixes yet. That most commercial seed mixes have some fortifications with vitamins and minerals keeps me from picking up the organic seeds.

Do the birds really ingest any of the fortifications of the seed mix? Are they somehow absorbed by the meat and get past the seed/hulls? Or are they just a coating and we hope the bird licks it off while working to crack the seed? Do we know for sure? If the fortifications are truly a benefit to the bird, then it doesn't make sense for me to do my own seed mix until after he's been moved over to pellets and fresh food, especially since we're trying to get him to gain weight since he's been so underweight.

Second, I purchased one of the recommended seed mixes from amazon (Hagen), and I'm thinking about returning it and just getting the cleanest looking ones from the store instead (my avian vet recommended Sweet Harvest brand, it seems to be a good, basic mix for picky budgies with minimal extras and available all over nearby). The dust in the amazon purchase was disappointing and reminded me of what happens with my wheat berries and oat groats when they get moths or weevils. The picture doesn't look as bad as it does in real life.. it's not picking up the details and amount. Have not opened this yet. Thoughts? I think this is old stock, ugh.

Thanks for your time!

Font Asphalt Automotive tire Grass family Rectangle

·
Administrator
57,907 Posts
I agree with you that the picture of the seed doesn't look good -- it definitely looks like old stock and wouldn't want to use it either!

Using the organic seeds is really great. The vitamin enriched seed mixs have the vitamins "coating" the hulls. It is assumed the vitamins are ingested when the budgie hulls the seeds. However, if you are also giving a pellet mix as well as fresh foods and/or sprouted seeds (which are more nutritious than dry seed) then the bird will likely be getting the necessary vitamins.

That said, the following article gives excellent information with regard to Vitamin A in particular:
Vitamin A in Birds

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thank you! Sprouted seeds are next on the list to try!
Vitamin A deficiency was the first thing my avian vet talked about when I brought in Chiribiri for his original visit, and I'm happy to see it showing up here, too, it seems like it is often overlooked!

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Okay, thank you! Sprouted seeds are next on the list to try!
Vitamin A deficiency was the first thing my avian vet talked about when I brought in Chiribiri for his original visit, and I'm happy to see it showing up here, too, it seems like it is often overlooked!
I just picked up a few options to give this a go myself!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the raw foods highest in Vit A include carrots and sweet potatoes. It drops off after that to kale and jalapenos :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.