Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 hens and 2 cocks (provided Baci pulls through her current illness). I would like to keep them in 2 cages, one pair each, as the hens tend to give each other grief.
At some point in the future I may breed them. I would like to pair them up now in the best way I can. I have a thing for blues and clear or greywings, and would like to maximize my chances for those.

Hens:
Violet Cobalt Opaline Greywing - Violet
YF (1 or 2, not sure yet) Opaline Skyblue Normal - Baci)

Cocks:
YF2 Skyblue Greywing - Jehan
Yellow recessive pied with a few black markings - Maier (I've been advised that he may be split for blue) see picture below:

I appreciate any help in this matter. Baci is chewing my hair in anticipation!

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Make sure you do all the research you can on breeding. It is supposed to be very hard. And make sure that they're all atleast a year old. And you said that Baci is ill? I would keep her separate from the rest of flock for now until she has recovered. She could have passed on the illness to the others. You might want to have them checked out by an avian vet also-if they have been hanging around with Baci. They need to be very healthy first. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i♥mybudgies;695296 said:
Make sure you do all the research you can on breeding. It is supposed to be very hard. And make sure that they're all atleast a year old. And you said that Baci is ill? I would keep her separate from the rest of flock for now until she has recovered. She could have passed on the illness to the others. You might want to have them checked out by an avian vet also-if they have been hanging around with Baci. They need to be very healthy first. Good luck! :)
Yes, however Baci developed an infection following stitches for a split keel. I don't believe she is contagious, but she is in another room entirely in her own hospital cage. She is on her second round of antibiotics and seems somewhat improved. She is a real fighter, that's for sure.
I am trying to think positively, and make plans for the future. I would not increase their daylight or put a nestbox in until they are at least 1 year old. Perhaps next summer or the following one. I do however want to pair them up to reduce the fighting between the hens, once Baci returns to the sunroom (fingers crossed).
I have been following the breeding and mutation threads to learn as much as I can in the meantime.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If the two greywings were paired together all the chicks would be cobalt or sky blue greywing and half of them would be yellow face

If Maier is split for blue, Baci & Maier would produce green & blue normals unless Maier is split for opaline or Baci is split for recessive pied

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Nev!
I was thinking of those pairs as well. Is greywing recessive, so it wouldn't show up if paired with a normal?
Is it possible that breeding the greywing birds might result in a clearwing?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Thanks Nev!
I was thinking of those pairs as well. Is greywing recessive, so it wouldn't show up if paired with a normal?
Is it possible that breeding the greywing birds might result in a clearwing?
that is right, greywing is recessive so you won't get any unless both parents have the gene.

a full bodied greywing is a greywing with a clearwing gene too. if two of them are bred you will get clearwings too.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is right, greywing is recessive so you won't get any unless both parents have the gene.

a full bodied greywing is a greywing with a clearwing gene too. if two of them are bred you will get clearwings too.
Oh, I see. Mine don't seem to be full body greywings, so little or no chance of a clearwing I guess.

Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.