Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Member of the Month June 2015
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm always thinking up creative ideas to introduce vegetables into Noah's diet some work and others he just point blank refuses. I try everything from whole veg to shredded veg to boiled and mashed veg, warm veg, cold veg, cooked veg and raw veg.

He's recently (and finally) started eating raw carrot - I used to only be able to get him to eat that by making mini cupcakes with carrot pieces in it. When he started eating them I knew he liked the carrot but just didn't realise it. However peas are an absolute no no for him - not even in the cupcakes!! Thankfully he is now eating tiny pieces of chopped up raw carrot but each piece has to be hand fed to him!!

Today I decided to juice the veg and give it to him in liquid form as a drink. He absolutely loves celery and nibbles a little bit at kale but is not interested at all in cucumber. So I decided to juice these three vegetables together. He took one sip but didn't bother with it after that. I will keep trying over the next couple of days. I might even pour some into an ice cube dish and make an ice pop for him - he gets ice in his water anyway so he's used to the coldness so perhaps an ice-pop might be nice!

Has anyone any other suggestions?

:)

· Administrator
60,916 Posts
Niamh,

I'm very impressed with your creativity and persistence in introducing healthy foods into Noah's diet. You've thought of many things that would not have occurred to me. :thumbsup:
Does it peak Noah's interest to see you eating and enjoying particular foods, perhaps sparking his desire to try them too?

2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try that all the time too - he looks at me and tastes it but he's a cute little ****** :D
I'm so strict with his health and he knows it but lately he has somehow managed to convince me to allow him the tiniest piece of a crisp (chips) if he sees them. He's so funny he usually doesn't bother us when we're eating but if there's a packet of crisps he just had to have a corner.

He knows when he's being fooled with the healthy stuff!! :D

· Member of the Month January 2016
4,993 Posts
You are so creative, I honestly can't think of anything you can do to help encourage his healthy eating.

My friends cockatiel, Plinkett, likes to have his dinner with them, so when they have food, he has his own little plate with some healthy veggies on it. She says that he usually gets upset because he wants to eat exactly what they are eating.

2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are so creative, I honestly can't think of anything you can do to help encourage his healthy eating.

My friends cockatiel, Plinkett, likes to have his dinner with them, so when they have food, he has his own little plate with some healthy veggies on it. She says that he usually gets upset because he wants to eat exactly what they are eating.
Aww poor little Plinkett he knows they are getting a tastier deal I bet! :)

· Super Moderator
20,295 Posts
Noah, what a rascal he is! :nono:

I'm sure he has every idea of how to outsmart his diligent mum :rolleyes:

This sounds odd, but have you ever tried serving a veggie with something "junky"?

Like millet, for example. Mallorn hates boiled egg (she likes scrambled only, don't ask why, I have no idea) but if I mix millet into it, she grudgingly will eat it.

Also, maybe he'd like a "smoothie" of sorts--more of a puree than a liquid, if he doesn't fancy his gourmet juice :giggle:

Other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas--those silly birds, they always outsmart us, don't they?! :laugh:

2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks StarlingWings yes they certainly do keep us on our toes!:eek:

I used to do the seed/millet veg mix all the time with Oisin! That's a good idea. Although raspberries mixed with Noah's veg (in the cupcakes) has been tried many times - that's how I discovered he actually 'does' like the taste of carrot - the silly billy just didn't realise it!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.