Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Gordon has been taking Baytril for a crop infection for 3 days but still looks like this, in fact I think it looks a bit worse. I’ve never seen it before, so can anyone say this is how a crop infection is? He is quite lopsided.

His poo is normal/a little on the hard side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,436 Posts
Has he been seen by an avian vet, that distension is concerning, do you know if something is impacted in there?
I have treated crop infections many times with Baytril but have never seen a distension like that from just an infection, I would ask the vet about that, and make sure it is not an air sac rupture, was any testing done to confirm the presence of bacteria, sometimes there can also be a fungal infection.

·
Super Moderator
5,436 Posts
I agree especially if he has an air sac rupture, that needs to be treated or it may get worse. When an air sac ruptures the area expands like a balloon, it can happen suddenly or it can expand over a short time. I am surprised that a vet would just give you meds without examining the bird, maybe he does not have an infection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree especially if he has an air sac rupture, that needs to be treated or it may get worse. When an air sac ruptures the area expands like a balloon, it can happen suddenly or it can expand over a short time. I am surprised that a vet would just give you meds without examining the bird, maybe he does not have an infection.
I don’t have an avian vet anywhere near me unfortunately, but this vet has been excellent with my birds till now

How do they treat an air sac rupture?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m sad to say Gordon did not survive. He had his procedure and the swelling in his chest was fluid, not air. He came home afterwards but went into shock and died in my hand. I was devastated and felt like I let him down. He would have been 8 on Monday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.