Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
20,051 Posts
I'm so glad you can take her to the vet right away. The infestation is already pretty severe by the looks of it, but with treatment she'll recover fully.

Best of luck at the vet! :D

· Super Moderator
20,051 Posts
To be totally honest, even if there are other problems, it does look like face mites to me and in my opinion she should have treated for face mites first while doing the other treatment. Avian vets know that administering the treatment for scaly face mites, which is one dose of ivermectin applied on the skin between the wings, is all that’s needed to clear up an infection and will not hurt the bird if they do not have mites. “Waiting” to see if she has mites for real is only going to make it worse.

· Super Moderator
20,051 Posts
I did try to pursue the mites route, and he kept insisting mites typically show on the feathers and since she wasn’t bothered by the feathers, it was probably something else liver-related. We have two prescriptions to give her and will be going for a follow-up in three weeks. All of me is hoping the meds will clear whatever the issue is, but deep down I feel like she’ll be suffering for more time. I’m at a loss right now, and watching her still struggle with the sedation from earlier just breaks my heart. giving lots of nice chats and will keep her close tonight in case anything happens.
I’m not claiming to be an avian vet and nobody on the forums would claim that either but all serious budgie owners with significant experience know that scaly face mites first manifest as a crusty appearance around the beak and nares. This is really concerning to me and I’m worried that you may be getting ripped off. Ivermectin treatments are one dose and relatively inexpensive. If they convince people that they need blood work and X-rays then they can get more money. Additionally if any of the medicines are wide spectrum antibiotics her gut flora will be disturbed significantly so vets should only prescribe those if it is certain they have a bacterial infection.
Is there any way you could get a second opinion from another avian vet, even over the phone?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.