Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
What's crusted??? Do you mean Crested?
Sorry, but I cannot help you with genetics, I'm just here to learn more about behavior and mutations.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Crested budgies have rather complex genetics. You will only get ino chicks if the male is ino, and the ino chicks will all be female. The crested gene is thought to be semi-dominant to the normal gene, but no one is quite positive about this. You may get some crested chicks. A crested budgie X a normal budgie does produce some crested chicks, but mainly normal and crest-breds (split for crest, but it's very complicated so they don't call it "split").

I hope I helped! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crested budgies have rather complex genetics. You will only get ino chicks if the male is ino, and the ino chicks will all be female. The crested gene is thought to be semi-dominant to the normal gene, but no one is quite positive about this. You may get some crested chicks. A crested budgie X a normal budgie does produce some crested chicks, but mainly normal and crest-breds (split for crest, but it's very complicated so they don't call it "split").

I hope I helped! :)
Thanks
will Crest-Breds posses Crest or Half-Crest?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can breed crest bred to crest bred and still get crest...just not as many.You will still get all three types and just as good of quality.Some crest to crest bred matings will produce more or less depending on if there parents were single or double factor and if any crest gene at all was passed to there chicks.You have to remember that the crest gene is a wild gene and falls where it will and not predictable as with other mutations.Crest breds do not have a crest in any shape or form.If there is one feather standing it is still considered a crest and will breed like a crest.

Jerry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Male Crested Budgie + Female Ino Budgie

can this pair give crested females ?:D

You can breed crest bred to crest bred and still get crest...just not as many.You will still get all three types and just as good of quality.Some crest to crest bred matings will produce more or less depending on if there parents were single or double factor and if any crest gene at all was passed to there chicks.You have to remember that the crest gene is a wild gene and falls where it will and not predictable as with other mutations.Crest breds do not have a crest in any shape or form.If there is one feather standing it is still considered a crest and will breed like a crest.

Jerry

·
Registered
235 Posts
Male Crested Budgie + Female Ino Budgie.
can this pair give crested females ?

Most certainly.You will not however get any ino's unless your male is split ino.If you do want ino's keep a crest male and breed it to a normal and you will get ino hens that may or may not have a crest.I would add pic's of mine but not sure how.
Jeery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.