Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering about the colour variations I could expect if my budgies were to mate. Unfortunately I have no idea what their parents looked like, since I purchased them from a petshop. I am not sure if it is possible to find this out.

Thanks in advance for any info.:budgie:

Attachments

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm still learning about mutations. Do you mind if I hazard some guesses until an expert comes along?

The **** bird is a recessive pied dark green (one dark factor). The hen is a normal sky blue (no dark factors).

Green is dominant to blue. Therefore, if the **** bird is not split for blue, then all chicks will be green (dark green or light green). If the **** bird is split for blue, then 50% of the chicks will be green (dark green or light green) and 50% will be blue (cobalt or sky blue).

Normal is dominant to recessive pied. Therefore, if the hen is not split for recessive pied, then all the chicks will be normals. If the hen is split for recessive pied, then 50% of the chicks will be normals split for recessive pied and 50% will be recessive pied.

Now I'll wait for the experts to correct any mistakes I've made ... :p

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still learning about mutations. Do you mind if I hazard some guesses until an expert comes along?

The **** bird is a recessive pied dark green (one dark factor). The hen is a normal sky blue (no dark factors).

Green is dominant to blue. Therefore, if the **** bird is not split for blue, then all chicks will be green (dark green or light green). If the **** bird is split for blue, then 50% of the chicks will be green (dark green or light green) and 50% will be blue (cobalt or sky blue).

Normal is dominant to recessive pied. Therefore, if the hen is not split for recessive pied, then all the chicks will be normals. If the hen is split for recessive pied, then 50% of the chicks will be normals split for recessive pied and 50% will be recessive pied.

:budgie:Thank you. Actually you are quite informed

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Don't breed them any time soon they're too young Or at least the Sky blue is But I'm guessing the Recessive pied is too since its a pet shop bird MOST are sold at 4 months old

and Most likely it is split to blue Most Green pet shop birds are

so with that in mind you'd get Green split to blue and split to recessive pied and Blue split to recessive pied

IF the female is split to recessive pied you'll know this because you'll get visual Recessive pied :D

if the Recessive pied is NOT split to blue then you will get 100% green split to blue and split to recessive pied

if she is split to recessive pied any baby who is NOT visually recessive pied will be split for it

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't breed them any time soon they're too young Or at least the Sky blue is But I'm guessing the Recessive pied is too since its a pet shop bird MOST are sold at 4 months old

and Most likely it is split to blue Most Green pet shop birds are

so with that in mind you'd get Green split to blue and split to recessive pied and Blue split to recessive pied

IF the female is split to recessive pied you'll know this because you'll get visual Recessive pied :D

if the Recessive pied is NOT split to blue then you will get 100% green split to blue and split to recessive pied

if she is split to recessive pied any baby who is NOT visually recessive pied will be split for it
I actually do not plan to let them mate now since they are still young. I got the female 6 months ago and the male almost 3 months ago and was advised at the time that they were about 4 months old (even though I think they were younger). I was just curious:)
Thank you. Your info was quite informative. When the time comes, later on, and if they do produce eggs, I will certainly post photos.:budgie:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts

Susan has got it exactly right if neither bird is split for anything the chicks will all be normal greens with either 1 or 2 dark factors.

It would be uncommon to find pet type birds that are not split for something so expect surprises

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Susan has got it exactly right if neither bird is split for anything the chicks will all be normal greens with either 1 or 2 dark factors.

It would be uncommon to find pet type birds that are not split for something so expect surprises
Green sounds great. Of course it is also nice to be surprised, perhaps a nice recessive pied:) If they do mate, I will keep you posted:budgie:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.