Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about mixing my own seed for my birds to ensure that they're getting the best quality seed mix possible. The problem is that I'm not too sure where to get the seeds and know that they're good and fresh. Would a local health store be the best place? I've got a whole foods nearby. Any other ideas? Currently I'm using the pet supplies plus parakeet select blend. It's mostly white millet with some red millet and oat groats. There's a few other things as well including some cracked corn but I'd like some more options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
I’d also say Volkman’s. They’re a top quality brand. I use their egg food. I might consider trying the one Deborah mentioned above when I’m out of seed. Volkman’s packaged products are “bug free” too, so you don’t ever have to worry about seed moths or gross larva in your seed ;).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do you buy yours from? It looks expensive on Amazon at 4.50/lb . Yikes!

·
Administrator
56,526 Posts
I buy the 20 lb bags of Volkman See mix through Amazon and it is well worth the money.

Volkman Super Scien Avian Seed Mix

When you ration the seed to 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons of seed per budgie each day, you'll be amazed at how little "waste" there is.
Plus, I put the "seed debris" outdoors for the outdoor birds to forage through so nothing really is wasted! :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey deb that link didn't work for me, the biggest bag I can find on Amazon is 4 lbs. I'll likely make the switch over once I run out of the food I already have (I have 30 lbs lol). I tried to sprout it the other day but what I have right now either won't sprout or I did it wrong. It started to smell sour even though I rinsed it out every few hours.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! That's a lot better at 2.50/lb. I can swing that ;) thanks for the info! I'll be making the switch! Does it sprout well?

·
Administrator
56,526 Posts
I'm glad to have helped.
I haven't sprouted any of the Volkman seed but it seems very fresh so I doubt you'll have any problems doing so.

Best wishes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.