Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just me again!

I have read through a lot of threads on here but everyone seems to be complaining that their birdo friend isn't utilising the provided cuttlebone.

My query is the opposite, can they use it too much? Both my budgies chew on the cuttlebones every day.

Are they addicted to it? Am I somehow depriving them of nutrients so they need to use it often? Are they bored?

What the heck!

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
My budgies go through cycles where they will chew the cuttlebones incessantly eating some but also leaving residue all over the bottom of the cage and the floor outside it.
Then they may go for several weeks without touching it.
Are your ladies eating a good portion of the cuttlebones or are they simply tearing them to bits?
The cuttlebones provide a good source of calcium for your budgies so if they are enjoying them, all is good!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it cos they are growing up? They need more nutrients?

They have so many perches and toys they can shred and destroy if that's all it is.

I will check the bottom of the cage when I get home from work to see if they are shredding or eating.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Females, in particular, love to chew cuttlebones. Although I have two males that love to chew them too!
Budgies' bodies let them know when they need additional calcium.
Are either one of them coming into breeding condition?

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Nope, Luna is not too young to be coming into condition.
Even when a female is NOT in condition they can easily go through a cuttlebone within a very short amount of time.
Seffra used to demolish them in less than 4 hours.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no is she ready to make new budgies already :eek:

I have seen everywhere people say not to touch a bird's back and wings because this can stimulate them does that apply to other birds as well?

Sometimes I see my budgies touching each other's wings. Will this get Luna in the mood to start laying?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.