Talk Budgies Forums banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Why?? I think we might need more info on why they are dangerous. So we know why not to use them... ;)
I agree. I don't personally have mirror toys or plastic birds in my bird's cage because I want him to stay bonded to me and not become obsessed with his reflection or fake birdie toy. However, that's a personal decision I've made. I don't quite understand why these toys are "very dangerous." I'm not trying to dispute your comment, just hoping for some additional information. Why are mirrors and plastic birds very dangerous?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Why?? I think we might need more info on why they are dangerous. So we know why not to use them... ;)
The budiges think a mirror / pastic bird is a partner.
It makes him sick, because the bird does not react like a budgie.
He keeps trying to feed the partner, but it doesn't eat the food.
He can get a goiter-inflammatory.
This is really happened!

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Hi,
I am of the opinion (my own opinion) that mirror toys do not pose any dangers to a budgie. I believe that even though a budgie will not recognize the thing in the mirror as their own reflection, they do know that it is not another budgie. My budgies have always had mirror toys and I have never experienced any behavior or health problems because of them in over 40 years of being a budgie owner. Gracie-Mae likes banging them and flipping them around :D If well made they do make a great toy. Of course if you observe a behavior problem because of a mirror toy, you should remove it, but don't fear the mirror toys. Offer one as well as a variety of other toys for your budgie's play time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,
I am of the opinion (my own opinion) that mirror toys do not pose any dangers to a budgie. I believe that even though a budgie will not recognize the thing in the mirror as their own reflection, they do know that it is not another budgie. My budgies have always had mirror toys and I have never experienced any behavior or health problems because of them in over 40 years of being a budgie owner. Gracie-Mae likes banging them and flipping them around :D If well made they do make a great toy. Of course if you observe a behavior problem because of a mirror toy, you should remove it, but don't fear the mirror toys. Offer one as well as a variety of other toys for your budgie's play time.
:iagree::iagree:

I baleve that the bird knows that the mirror is not a real budgie. And ya as long as your budgie is not spending all day looking at it then its a great toy for him.

·
Registered
780 Posts

I baleve that the bird knows that the mirror is not a real budgie. And ya as long as your budgie is not spending all day looking at it then its a great toy for him.
This is a quote (translated) from birds-online.de

Mirrors and plastic birds you should banish from the cage and the environment of the bird! Individually held a parakeet looks at these toys as a substitute partner. He will try to feed these putative conspecifics up with regurgitated seeds. The constant regurgitation of the crop is irritating and leads to severe inflammation in the long run, that can be fatal.
http://www.birds-online.de/unterbringung/tvt.htm

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
This is a quote (translated) from birds-online.de

http://www.birds-online.de/unterbringung/tvt.htm
I'm sorry but I still think this may be a bit of a stretch. Birds can regurgitate to their favorite toys, people, or even perches. Since constant regurgitation causing crop inflammation is the noted cause for concern in providing mirrors or plastic birds, then this means you have to worry about anything they become attached to. A favorite perch for instance should be removed or moved to a new location if regurgitation becomes a problem. I think this is the larger issue, and that mirrors and plastic birds are fine unless an issue arises.

Although I do not personally have mirrors in my bird's cage, I do know that many knowledgeable members of TB do. Many TB visitors and members use this sticky as a reference and I just don't know if mirrors and plastic bird toys belong on this list.

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
It is a matter of opinion and of course the budgie's reaction to a mirror. We can only speak from our own experiences. I don't think a mirror should be ruled out as a toy until you see how your budgie interacts with one. If you do believe they are harmful then you should follow your belief and not offer one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm sorry but I still think this may be a bit of a stretch. Birds can regurgitate to their favorite toys, people, or even perches. Since constant regurgitation causing crop inflammation is the noted cause for concern in providing mirrors or plastic birds, then this means you have to worry about anything they become attached to. A favorite perch for instance should be removed or moved to a new location if regurgitation becomes a problem. I think this is the larger issue, and that mirrors and plastic birds are fine unless an issue arises.

Although I do not personally have mirrors in my bird's cage, I do know that many knowledgeable members of TB do. Many TB visitors and members use this sticky as a reference and I just don't know if mirrors and plastic bird toys belong on this list.

I like how you say about the same thing i did only you put in a lot more detail :):)

·
Registered
73 Posts
My opinion is, one bird which is died because of a mirror is one bird to much.
It died much birds cause they had a mirror. :/
That's my opinion
I do agree 1 budgie is 1 to much but thats like saying 1 dog died from chokeing on a toy bone so then we should take away all of the toy bones and let all the dogs be bored and sad?

But again it just my opinion and when it comes down to it its up to the owner to decide what they think is best for there pets.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I do agree 1 budgie is 1 to much but thats like saying 1 dog died from chokeing on a toy bone so then we should take away all of the toy bones and let all the dogs be bored and sad?
I can understand you, but a toy bone is for a dog more important than a mirror for a bird. ;)

·
MOTM December 2011
3,090 Posts
With all due respect, I think mirrors could pose as a health problem, but that is only to birds with mental disability or wild budgies that have been torn away from family :) My budgie has 2 mirrors and a disco ball and is still tame and very much healthy. But that is only my opinion :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow! Now I am worried what new toys I am gonna buy my birds. :( I am glad that I came across this thread!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
This thread, like a good sermon, needs to be taken in perspective. "Chew the meat and spit out the bones" is my motto. I think all things can be dangerous when I let out my budgie, but if like a parent, we watch over them we can prevent most problems.

I got rid of my two loved plants that I knew were poisonous to my bird, but kept the rest. Now it is up to me to teach Sunny not to nibble on the rest.

I appreciate the input and will do with it what I think best for my bird, using common sense for the most part.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. I will not be buying the little wooden balls as a result. He has plastic ones that will get replaced if broken.

If I looked at everything in my apartment as dangerous, I'd have nothing left and an unhappy bird to boot.:eek:

Just keep us on top of things that are bad for them.

:budgie::budgie::budgie::budgie::budgie::budgie:FOR THEIR SAKES.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Excellent thread Spicky.

This ferris wheel toy is unsafe. The bird can get their heads caught in it. They are easily knocked over too.

thanks for pointing this one out! i had just bought one for mimic the other day, i took it out though because she was scared of it and kept tipping it over when she'd try to land on it. but i won't be putting it back in her cage.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts