Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just got a budgie yesterday and i was told hes a month old but yesterday in a thread i was told he was because his cere is dark blue? can someone explain?:budgie:

Attachments

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Most mutations of budgies have dark blue ceres which is the portion right above his beak.

The "baby bars" on his head are not all the way down his forehead to the top of the cere so that indicates he more than a month old.

If you take the time to read through the stickies at the top of the forums you'll learn all kinds of interesting facts about budgies and how to care for them. :D

List of Stickies - Talk Budgies Forums

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Hi there, and congratulations on your new budgie boy! :)

From that photo it's clear your budgie is much older than 1 month old, he has completed his first moult, already has all of his big boy throat spots and has the mature royal blue colour on the cere. Taking all these factors into account, your budgie is at the very least 6 months old, there is no doubt on my mind.

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
He's gorgeous ;) I think he's about 5-6 months old because although he clearly has gone through his first moult, his eyes still aren't showing a clear iris.

But definitely older than 1 month :rolleyes:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with all of the above. :)

What I don't get is why people lie about ages? Or are they just not good at knowing? It took me a few months but I can definitely tell the rough age of a budgie now. People make me wonder daily as to why they do certain things

Anyways, your new budgies is gorgeous! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with all above, his bars are gone. Since his cere is a dark blue I would estimate 6 to 7 months, as he appears to be sexually mature. No matter his age though he is handsome!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.