Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All Genetic experts,

I know Susan will be taking the 1st guess, then Atv will join in, then Lindsey and Nev of course...maybe Dries

..really enjoy all Ur guessing at / knowing of the genes..!

# However here's a photo of "Kingy"......
Face Bird Beak Feather Wing

...I think he's DEC, but from the other threads (speaking of Pied being in the DEC "mix")....I'm not so sure....
....especially, since I've not got one "pied" from him and "Golden" (Lutino hen)....
Bird Beak Yellow Parrot Feather

Similarly, he can't be DF Spangle either, no Spangle chicks either (should have have some, as Spangle is dominant...right?)

# I'm more certain that he at least masks "grey" (see "light grey-marking" to his belly), since one of his sons "Silver-Spray" showed the Grey (as well as Yellow-face, from mom maybe & Green/Blue)...here's photo of son:
Bird Beak Ducks, geese and swans Feather Toy

Any guesses what he really is...
Thx 2 all!
JacodK

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Yep dark eyed clears can mask grey and sometimes do show suffusion :) But he doesnt look like one as he has an iris ring,and he looks to have actually color not just suffusion, and he would have had some clearflight pieds if he was a DEC mated to a lutino. He looks to have the cere of a DF domanant pied.... what have his babies been?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
as Lindsey said he can't be a DEC he has iris rings they do not have Iris rings

the last pic I don't see Grey at all I see a YF type 2 blue the yellow is bleeding into the body making the top half a greenish color and I also see Violet so he has a violet factor(if i'm not seeing things anyway)

on Kingy I see light grey between his legs and Markings on his wings

But no body color any where else

my guess is a poorly marked Dominant pied

oh and the last pic shown he can't get his yellow face from his mom She's a green series bird They all have yellow faces They don't pass that yellow face on to the babies IF she is the mom and Kingy is the dad She is split to blue because the last Picture is a blue series bird

·
19,551 Posts
as Lindsey said he can't be a DEC he has iris rings they do not have Iris rings

oh and the last pic shown he can't get his yellow face from his mom She's a green series bird They all have yellow faces They don't pass that yellow face on to the babies IF she is the mom and Kingy is the dad She is split to blue because the last Picture is a blue series bird
Green series birds can carry yelowface although you cant see it, so she could be the mom ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll dig for some pictures of the past-babies from "Kingy" x "Golden"....(maybe I've missed something?)

thx so far!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

I really feel bad...I almost "misled" U all, can't believe I got it so wrong....fortunately my memory got re-freshed just now (must be old age!) looking at the baby pictures....

Ur correct...but explain again pse....

Here are some past baby pics!
Bird Eye Beak Feather Wing

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing

Bird african grey Beak Organism Accipitridae

Bird Parrot Beak Organism Pet supply

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Parakeet
Enjoy & thx again!

PS- I left out most "other, non-pied" baby pics...the ratio so far were probably 50% pied & 50% Grey; normal blue & green birds...

noting your last comment,...Nope I've not had him with any other hen yet!

·
19,551 Posts
This is a silly question but I have to ask :D.... you are sure he was the only male with the females at the time right? Or are you colony breeding?

They seem to be all recessive pieds, He must only be split for it though as he has iris rings. It seems like he must have domanant pied in him

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The fourth baby looks almost like one of mine - love them. The first baby could be a mauve - that's why it looks grey, but I agree with atv - it looks a little bit violet too. Are you doing colony breeding. Can't remember if you said so in one of your other threads.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, colony breeding it is....

...BUT I've had at least two babies for each of the above 5 typical babies between the past hatchlings..... & these 2 birds (as are quite a few others) are very protective over each other, and other hens / cocks....

...the only "loose-canon"-**** between the flock is probably "Rainbow" and he acts as if he is the "alpha-male" between the cocks?!

So I'm pretty sure (given the repetitive nature of chicks from multiple, but same nests)that these 2 birds are indeed the parents...

...so is it DF Dominant Pied then?
thx!

PS- Of the last typical babies: baby 2, 4 & 5 turned-out to have Yellow-faces after moulting...

·
19,551 Posts

...BUT I've had at least two babies for each of the above 5 typical babies between the past hatchlings..... & these 2 birds (as are quite a few others) are very protective over each other, and other hens / cocks....

...the only "loose-canon"-**** between the flock is probably "Rainbow" and he acts as if he is the "alpha-male" between the cocks?!

So I'm pretty sure (given the repetitive nature of chicks from multiple, but same nests)that these 2 birds are indeed the parents...

thx!

PS- Of the last typical babies: baby 2, 4 & 5 turned-out to have Yellow-faces after moulting...
Ok that totally and completly changes everything lol :D Next time say that to begin with and it will be much easier ;)
I was about to be so confused if you said you were breeding in pairs and he had to be the father of those babies :giggle:

Even though they do generally pair up they will still mate with others if given the chance, all it takes is for you to not look for 30 seconds and they would have enough time. Even if it seems like they are only mating with one mate, there is ALWAYS extra mating going on, its just what they do and this is a perfect example of that :D

He is not the father of any of those babies I dont think, unless maybe the recessive pieds that are a mix of sf domanant pied, as he is a DF domanant pied so every baby he has should be atleast sf domanant pied. He looks to be something else too like greywing probably too since his markings are so light and the color on his chest looks diluted a bit :) Pics from the front and back of him would help ;)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

Ok that totally and completly changes everything lol :D Next time say that to begin with and it will be much easier ;)
I was about to be so confused if you said you were breeding in pairs and he had to be the father of those babies :giggle:

Even though they do generally pair up they will still mate with others if given the chance, all it takes is for you to not look for 30 seconds and they would have enough time. Even if it seems like they are only mating with one mate, there is ALWAYS extra mating going on, its just what they do and this is a perfect example of that :D

He is not the father of any of those babies I dont think, unless maybe the recessive pieds that are a mix of sf domanant pied, as he is a DF domanant pied so every baby he has should be atleast sf domanant pied. He looks to be something else too like greywing probably too since his markings are so light and the color on his chest looks diluted a bit :) Pics from the front and back of him would help ;)
LOL I'm still utterly confused I'll have to re start from the very start when I get time to read it all over again and try to figure it out lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Atv,

me too...utterly confused.....

I'm off to bed...I'll sleep over this one, maybeI wake up enlightened...

Oh, U must enjoy Ur Easter...we're off & away for a few days...

..so'll re-live this thread on my return in 7 days!

Thx 4 now,
jacodK

PS - maybe I should send pictures of all the possible males (among other "Rainbow") that was around at these babies "hatch-times"?...who knows, it may shed some light?

·
19,551 Posts
Hi All Genetic experts,

I know Susan will be taking the 1st guess, then Atv will join in, then Lindsey and Nev of course...maybe Dries

..really enjoy all Ur guessing at / knowing of the genes..!

# However here's a photo of "Kingy"......
View attachment 21836

...I think he's DEC, but from the other threads (speaking of Pied being in the DEC "mix")....I'm not so sure....
....especially, since I've not got one "pied" from him and "Golden" (Lutino hen)....
View attachment 21837

Similarly, he can't be DF Spangle either, no Spangle chicks either (should have have some, as Spangle is dominant...right?)

# I'm more certain that he at least masks "grey" (see "light grey-marking" to his belly), since one of his sons "Silver-Spray" showed the Grey (as well as Yellow-face, from mom maybe & Green/Blue)...here's photo of son:
View attachment 21838

Any guesses what he really is...
Thx 2 all!
JacodK
Ok... so you posted pictures of him, He looks like a DF domanant pied :) You then said none of his babies he had no spangles, no pieds.

Yep dark eyed clears can mask grey and sometimes do show suffusion :) But he doesnt look like one as he has an iris ring,and he looks to have actually color not just suffusion, and he would have had some clearflight pieds if he was a DEC mated to a lutino. He looks to have the cere of a DF domanant pied.... what have his babies been?
So I asked what his babies were then...

I'll dig for some pictures of the past-babies from "Kingy" x "Golden"....(maybe I've missed something?)

thx so far!
Hi All,

I really feel bad...I almost "misled" U all, can't believe I got it so wrong....fortunately my memory got re-freshed just now (must be old age!) looking at the baby pictures....

Ur correct...but explain again pse....

Here are some past baby pics!
Enjoy & thx again!

PS- I left out most "other, non-pied" baby pics...the ratio so far were probably 50% pied & 50% Grey; normal blue & green birds...

noting your last comment,...Nope I've not had him with any other hen yet!
Then you posted a bunch of pics that were supposed to be his babies... and they were all opalines, and recessive pieds(unless they are 2 types of pied) Which makes no sence that they would have came from him if he was a DF domanant pied, every baby should be atleast a sf domanant pied if he was the father :)

thx!

Then we realize why none of them look like the babies of a DF domanant pied except for maybe a recessive pied or 2 if they were a mix of 2 pied types... because the hen must have been mating with other males and thus you have the non pied babies you did :)

LOL I'm still utterly confused I'll have to re start from the very start when I get time to read it all over again and try to figure it out lol
Atv,

me too...utterly confused.....

I'm off to bed...I'll sleep over this one, maybeI wake up enlightened...

Oh, U must enjoy Ur Easter...we're off & away for a few days...

..so'll re-live this thread on my return in 7 days!

Thx 4 now,
jacodK

PS - maybe I should send pictures of all the possible males (among other "Rainbow") that was around at these babies "hatch-times"?...who knows, it may shed some light?
It was very confusing because you started out saying these "are" his babies... and if that is the case they should tell us something about what he is since he has so little markings... but if you are colony breeding the babies that "might" be his are of no help unless you know for sure. So all we have to go off of is what he looks like, a DF domanant pied lol :D

Make more sence? :giggle:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Lindsey / Atv,

Thanks for the help....so if he is DF Dominant pied, am I understanding correct that for the recessive pied chicks to have appeared both hen & **** needed to be pieds?...

What baffles me is that (if other cocks got in the way here) there are not 1 other males with any pied genes?....(at least that I know of)

..unless "Rainbow" (a possible **** parent) is split for pied as well?...he gave recessive pied babies with the recessive hen (Choc-chip) before...could this be a pointer?
Bird Beak Organism Parrot Natural material

Anyway I'm sure that once I get these 2 birds to breed in 1 of my 2 breeding cages it may become more clear...so I'll give some news when I have babies from these two birds..

See U then,
jacodK

·
19,551 Posts
Hi Lindsey / Atv,

Thanks for the help....so if he is DF Dominant pied, am I understanding correct that for the recessive pied chicks to have appeared both hen & **** needed to be pieds?...

What baffles me is that (if other cocks got in the way here) there are not 1 other males with any pied genes?....(at least that I know of)

..unless "Rainbow" (a possible **** parent) is split for pied as well?...he gave recessive pied babies with the recessive hen (Choc-chip) before...could this be a pointer?
View attachment 22023

Anyway I'm sure that once I get these 2 birds to breed in 1 of my 2 breeding cages it may become more clear...so I'll give some news when I have babies from these two birds..

See U then,
jacodK
Any of them male or female could be split to recessive pied and that would be all it would take :) They do need to have a recessive pied gene for both parents though weather it is in split or visual form. So the mom is masking recessive pied or is split for it, and the dad is atleast split for it whoever he is :)

The only way to know for sure as you said, is to selective breed one pair to a cage ;) I look forward to the new babies!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.