Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! :wave1:

I was just wondering if it is possible for a dark eyed clear to (once been through their first two molts), to end up with some darkish markings on their tail and flight feathers?

My hen, 7 months old now has over time developed these markings through her two molts. I didn't think this was possible as the name says "clear" so maybe she has a little something else?

She hasn't developed irises and is pure white minus the flight and tail feathers being dark now.

So, is this possible or not? I can post a photo if needed.

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
I don't think it is possible. Some mutational pieds do loose their marking to become almost clear but It has to be pure white with black eyes to be a dark eyed cear and the tail feathers indicate that it is not. Normally it is either pure yellow or pure white not any other colour. Also usually dark eyed clears, their colour is always pure and after 2 molt I think you have the pied that almost become a dark eyed clear but does not.

For more look here:

http://www.***************/colorsguide.html

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
A DEC will always be solid. You could have a Double Factor Spangle masking recessive (credit: Nev), and that would account for it being a solid color, and then getting some color? I'm not sure on that, but I do know that DEC will never get color other than their base (yellow or white), unless they are yellow based, and they will have white cheek patches.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Any clear bird, including albino, lutino, double factor spangle or dark eyed clear, may show some suffusion of colour which may change with subsequent moults. This suffusion is just a hint of colour not definite markings. If your bird has definite dark markings then probably the mutation has been assessed incorrectly

A photo would help

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I can see the grey you are talking about :) Is it possible she got the tips of her tail and wings on something such as newspaper?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see the grey you are talking about :) Is it possible she got the tips of her tail and wings on something such as newspaper?
Actually, yes. I hadn't thought of that! I use newspaper on their favourite play areas (such as on top of a wall unit). She is deffinately a DEC, which is why I was getting confused about the colouring!

LOL, thanks so much! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.