Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.
The first spot on my budgies beak appeared this year february.
Pictures from february:

View image: WP 20150213 13 09 39 Pro
View image: WP 20150213 13 13 01 Pro

I wet to the vet with her and who gave her antibiotic injection...The 2nd one almost killed her...the vet told me she became allergic to it.
Anyways...she survived and recovered, but recently (in the last month) the dark spot reappeared...
The 2nd time the spots appeared:

View image: WP 20150728 15 26 43 Pro

I gave her antibiotic in water for 2 weeks with 1 week pause between...I also gave vitamins + some kind of powder which helps budgie's digestions + contains some important minerals...Unfortunately the dark spots did not disappear, but become much larger and is also present in her nails now.
Recent photos:

View image: WP 20140611 005
View image: WP 20140610 003
View image: WP 20140610 008
View image: WP 20140611 006
View image: WP 20140611 007

She is not very very sick at the moment, but she is sleeping much...still eating, drinking, at morning when I let her out from her cage she even flies around in the room a few times, but that's all...and she is a hyperactive little girl otherwise...
Her poop is also greyish, she has diarrhea many times.

Tiimarie (Ann) wrote many information on this forum about her poor little budgie who had liver disease (http://talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/97610-dark-spot-beak.html )...and I think my budgie has the same problem :( even doe her beak and nails are not overgrown yet fortunately.
She also lists the symphtomes on her thread *( http://talkbudgies.com/diseases-illnesses/103580-information-liver-disease.html )
and 3 of them are present at my budgie:
The bruises on beak and nails, and the greyish diarrhea.

I am trying to avoid chemicals, I give her water from a bottle bought from magazine (water from faucet contains chlorine), I am trying to give her vegetables, etc. but it doesn't look like her health is improving.
What I also wanted to mention is her age...she is a 5 years old little girl. Until this year, and her first antibiotic injections in february at mornings she had giant poops usually...Like 5-6 times larger than the normal which is not present anymore. I don't know if that has any connection to her current health or illness.

I wonder what you guys think?
P.S. And sorry for my awful English. Thank you.

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
I'm sorry your little one is going through these problems. :hug:

Was the vet you took her to an Avian Vet or a regular vet?

I would suggest you find a different Avian Vet for a second opinion with regard to treatment.

You can try dandelion root, milk thistle
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-milk-thistle-dandelion-5305.html

http://talkbudgies.com/recipes/297361-recipe-sick-budgie.html

Do you use ACV in her water?
http://talkbudgies.com/articles-holistic-natural-remedies/103936-apple-cider-vinegar.html

·
Registered
37,563 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello there.
Unfortunately we have only regular vets, no avian vet on the region...and I can't take her to a few hundred miles trip to the closest avian vet which is the only one I find in this country on the internet. :(...that's why I am trying to discover her problems.
@FaeryBee, I was reading about milk thistle, but they said only avian vets know the quantity we can give her...
@Pretty boy, what about the electrolyte drink? You can buy it at the vet? Anyways I'l make a little more investigation at evening about these things you guys suggested. Thanks a lot!
:budgie:

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
Since you are unable to get to an Avian Vet, I would recommend you contact an On-Line Avian Vet to ask for help and advice:

Ask an avian vet - get bird care answers ASAP

Ask a Vet Online. Ask a Vet Pet Veterinary Health Questions 24/7. Online Vet Advice « VetLIVE

Dr. Ross Perry
US/Canada exit code: 011
Australia country code: 61
The 0 on cell phones/mobile phones is dropped on international calls.

Dr. Ross Perry
Mobile 0419 693279
Calling from US/Canada: 011 61 419 693 279

Home (612) 9401 4586
Calling from US/Canada: 011 61 2 9401 4586

Work (612) 99825831
Calling from US/Canada: 011 61 2 9982 [email protected]
[email protected]
Skype and iChat: DoctorRossPerry
Aspiring to love all, serve all, help ever, hurt never.
Dr Ross Perry | Helping Your Pet

Dandelion Root Powder and Milk Thistle Powder are both holistic remedies used for detoxification of the liver and can be sprinkled over moist foods.

The electrolyte solution recipe is right in the link that Cathy provided to you in her post.

Here it is again:

½ cup hot water
3 ½ cups water
2 Tablespoons honey (or sugar if you have no honey)
½ teaspoon salt
Optional: 2 Tablespoons Orange or Apple Juice

Mix the honey and salt with the hot water until dissolved
Add the room temperature water and juice and let cool to room temperature before using.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
I had a bird with dark spots on his beak and it was from fatty liver. Treatment began with milk thistle. If you know of an avian vet maybe you could ask your vet to consult with him or her as to the proper treatment protocol.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
According to some of the information I have found, milk thistle dosage can be as low as 50 mg up to as much as 250 mg daily. I give my bird's a dandelion root/milk thistle capsule that is 300 mg and I separate two of those capsules and sprinkle the powder over five feeding dishes for each of my bird's...:)

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@FaeryBee I appreciate you explanation. I thought that link is Cathy's tag or something :p
I feel slighly better that for example Cody had the same problem and there is a way for treatment or Jonah who is using milk thistle.
I also have a question. Do you guys use milk thistle for human consumption for your budgies? For example these similar to these? : https://plantum.ro/search?controlle...search=Caută&gclid=CJKesJurz8cCFVRsGwod4oEE1g
Or there is a way to find milk thistle made directly for budgies?
I still wonder where and what kind of milk thistle to buy and how to give it to my budgie...I also try to contact with one of my vet friend in order to ask some advices or to convince him to contact an avian vet. Anyways thank you all the mobile numbers and the support. This helps me a lot! :)

·
Administrator
55,964 Posts
@FaeryBee I appreciate you explanation. I thought that link is Cathy's tag or something :p
I feel slighly better that for example Cody had the same problem and there is a way for treatment or Jonah who is using milk thistle.
I also have a question. Do you guys use milk thistle for human consumption for your budgies? For example these similar to these? : https://plantum.ro/search?controlle...search=Caută&gclid=CJKesJurz8cCFVRsGwod4oEE1g

Or there is a way to find milk thistle made directly for budgies?
I still wonder where and what kind of milk thistle to buy and how to give it to my budgie...I also try to contact with one of my vet friend in order to ask some advices or to convince him to contact an avian vet. Anyways thank you all the mobile numbers and the support. This helps me a lot! :)
You can use Milk Thistle made for human consumption with no problem. If you do so, open the capsules and mix the powder with the budgie's food as Randy explained in his post.

There is also Milk Thistle/Dandelion Root extract in a liquid form through pet suppliers such as Windy City Parrot or through Amazon

Click the link below

Amazon.com : Milk Thistle / Dandelion Liver Detox Extract for BIRDs - 2oz : Liver And Blood Detox Tea : Pet Supplies

1 oz (29.56 ml) Milk Thistle & Dandelion Bird Liver Detox Formula Extract
For the liquid above, the instructions indicate you can either give 8 drops in 8 oz of water once a day
OR 1 drop by beak once a day.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
The milk thistle I used I got from the vet. It is a liquid and is a formulation of milk thistle and lactulose. Initially given right in the mouth through a syringe, later on in the water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello again. I just want to update my little budgie's condition. She feels slightly better doe to the multivitamins, Milk Thistle tea and vegetables like salads and apples from our garden. Her beak is a little overgrown, but the dark spots are disappearing slowly. Her bite is much stronger now.
Anyways...I just tried FaeryBee's link about online questions...,,Ask an avian vet - get bird care answers ASAP'' on justanswer.com. Unfortunately they accept the 5 dollar but I got no answer...they just closed my post and that's it. I offered them 41 dollar+5 which is not a too low price for just a question in a poor country I am from, but I am open to do anything I can for her.
I may try the other link you posted later. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.