Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
55,103 Posts
She is SO Precious!!

Once you have her home and have named her, I'll retitle your thread and make it into an on-going picture thread so you can share all of her pictures in one thread over time. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I can't wait!! Hopefully next week! I would have loved for her to come home this weekend because I have all next week!

·
Administrator
55,103 Posts
Do you have her cage all set up for her?
I know when I got my budgies, I spent a great deal of time (and money) ensuring I had everything I could think of for them. :laughing1:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have her cage all set up for her?
I know when I got my budgies, I spent a great deal of time (and money) ensuring I had everything I could think of for them. :laughing1:
I just ordered her this cage, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GXZ3QRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I do have a cage here, just in case she comes home before the new one arrives.
I also ordered her some new toys and perches and a playpen for the top of the cage. Some will be delivered tomorrow :)
Do you think I should keep her in the smaller cage ( 18"W x 20"H x 14"D) for a bit because she is a baby?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here she is today. I couldn't get a photo out of her tank, she doesn't sit still. Lol! The photo in my hand was from the other day when my daughter was with me. The other blue and white boy was my first choice from this clutch, but he already had a deposit. He is the most amazing little guy. He prefers people over his siblings. My little girl is so beautiful. Had fun with them today :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
55,103 Posts
That's a great cage which you've chosen for her! Well done.

You may want to keep her in the smaller cage for a couple of weeks but it isn't really necessary. She'll be fine in either of them.

Make sure you have a cover for the cage so you can get her used to being covered at night and start her on a regular schedule for sleep and get-up times.
I cover the top, three sides and 1/3 of the way down the front of my cages.
It's important to have a nightlight in the room to help prevent night frights.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your advise. Some of her toys came today. I may start her in the smaller cage, so it doesn't seem so big and empty. I know they clipped her wings. As I was there visiting and one of the babies took off in the store. He did come back after awhile. So it would probably be easier for her to move around. I am getting her from the same pet store I got my Green Cheek from 15 years ago. I guess quarantining should still be done? They have had the same only breeding pair at the shop for a few years. All of the offspring, they are still in touch with, are all healthy and chatty :)

·
Administrator
55,103 Posts
Quarantining the budgie in a different room from the Green Cheek is still recommended.

Since her wings have been clipped, the smaller cage will probably work better for her until she molts and grows back her flight feathers.

However, I have a large flight cage and one budgie that doesn't fly at all and she simply climbs around to get where she wants to go in the cage. ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay! Thank you! She better come home soon. I just keep buying stuff for her.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to visit my little Lutino girl today. Pretty as ever😊 They will be moving them in to cages this weekend and can probably come home next week. Can’t wait. I must admit that the blue and white one was my first choice , but he had a deposit on him. He has the most amazing little personality. He actually prefers people over his siblings. My little girl will need a little more work, but that’s okay😊 They both actually came to the front of the tank to say hello. It’s usually just him.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is an awesome cage! She is just gorgeous and is going to love her "Barbie Dream Cage" penthouse.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is an awesome cage! She is just gorgeous and is going to love her "Barbie Dream Cage" penthouse.
Thank you. Her cage should be delivered Friday. And more of her toys will arrive tomorrow. I am having fun shopping for her. Finally picked out a name too, but it may change, Lol! For now it will be Olivia.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I absolutely LOVE the pictures you've been posting of her. She is precious! :love:
Thank you for looking :) I love visiting and taking photos. I just keep looking back at the photos just waiting for the day she comes home. Unless the blue and white one falls through and I take him home. I doubt that would happen. Whatever it is I am extremely happy and whatever is meant to be, will happen.
So I have someone in another group, that claims to be an expert, insists that she is a he. I stated what I have learned an others with more experience than I, say definitely a girl. I also read, do not know if it is true, that if 2 non Ino parents have an Ino baby, that it is always female. Do you know that to be true?

·
Administrator
55,103 Posts
Joyce,

The budgie is definitely female so the so-called "expert" isn't such an expert. :laughing:

I am not an expert when it comes to mutations and genetics but either StarlingWings or PoukieBear will be able to answer the question with regard to Inos.

I will message them through our staff page and ask that one of them respond to you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joyce,

The budgie is definitely female so the so-called "expert" isn't such an expert. :laughing:

I am not an expert when it comes to mutations and genetics but either StarlingWings or PoukieBear will be able to answer the question with regard to Inos.

I will message them through our staff page and ask that one of them respond to you.
Thank you! And it was a guy! And they usually take a big defense to being wrong. Lol! Sorry guys :) Probably never had an Ino and is going by the general rules.

Her cage came today. So excited. And I think we may have settled on a name. Darla :)

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
The "expert" clearly is not an expert :)

Ino is a sex linked gene. This means that males can carry two copies of the gene, and females can only carry one copy of the gene.

When a male has TWO copies of the gene, he will appear as a visual Ino. When a male carries only ONE copy of the gene, it will be "hidden" (we call this "Split" for Ino) and it will not show visually.

Since a female can only carry ONE copy of the gene, she will ALWAYS appear INO if she carries it. She can never be split for it.

So, in order to get a male baby INO budgie, mom has to be INO and dad also has to be either INO or at least split for INO. That way the chick will inherit two copies of the gene, one from mom and one from dad.

If momma bird is not an INO, then it is genetically impossible to have a male INO in the clutch. All INO's in the clutch will be female, since they will be inheriting the gene from dad who would be either INO or split for INO.

I really hope this all makes sense, sometimes it's hard for my brain to get my thoughts out in an orderly fashion.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts