Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Beak Feather Parrot Reptile

(This post might be long so I hope you'll make it to the end of the post x)

This is Ni (pronounced: Nee). My parents bought her on April 2019 (she was probably 3-4 months old back then). She lives with another 1-year-old female budgie who is very tame and not at all hormonal.

I think she is chronically hormonal. She has a small cage to begin with (this is due to my parents' poor intention), thus she's allowed free-flight when she doesn't sleep. Here's where the problem begins: she displays lots of hormonal behaviors like being aggressive and hiding under any furniture she finds (this is the biggest problem). She loves hiding under/behind furniture and has been doing this for months. While I have no problem with her aggression, I have serious issue with her hiding under/behind furniture. This often results in egg laying. Recently she has laid 2 malformed eggs (they look like malformed eggs from google search), each 2 weeks apart. When she was carrying her egg, she became less energized and looked like she was in discomfort. I notice there's this one place she likes sitting in, both times resulted in egg laying so I remove that place. She went back to normal after passing both eggs. I also gave her salt bath after two incidents.

My mom already purchased a bigger cage for her and I'm ordering toys and perches to put them in the cage. I believe this helps with her hormonal period. I'm also ordering calcium supplement in case she lays eggs.
I also buy lots of chewing toys as she high-key loves chewing. Besides, I'm looking for ideas to make foraging toys for her (like foraging trays) to encourage her foraging behavior. Or any toys she can chew on, basically to entertain her. She has her favorite toys (like popsicle sticks) but often gets bored of toys after about 1 week. That's why I ask for toy ideas.
She has 12 plus hours of sleep every night. I'm also limiting her exposure to artificial light when she's awake. Since I'm staying at home due to pandemic, I can supervise her and stop her from hiding under furniture. This won't be the case when the lockdown is lifted and I move out (I'm a freshman student).

Is there anything else I can do to curb her hormonal behavior?

I wish there was an avian vet where I live. General vets around me treat dogs and cats (and bunnies, perhaps?) but birds. Getting hormone shots is not my choice.

I hope this is clear enough and I appreciate any help! Thank you in advance

·
Banned
326 Posts
I am a bit concerned you think she might like to lay eggs. Please remove any nest like structure. Provide her with cuttlebone, mineral blocks and shredding toys to express her natural frustration.

Buy her a nice big cage and interact with her often allowing her to play with you.

From what I have learnt from other more learned colleagues is to reduce daylight hours to make her think this isn't a good time to breed. And change up her enclosure so she is less inclined to breed and more eager to explore:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
She does have a cuttlebone that she loves chewing. Since I supervise her most of the time, she has lots of human interaction. Especially when my family gather for lunch and dinner.
I'm also planning to move her to another room of the house- change up her enclosure.
Basically I've done all these, just gotta do to a greater extent. TY

·
Administrator
57,904 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

You need to limit her daylight hours to no more than 8 hours per day.
Ensure she is getting a calcium supplement in addition to her cuttlebone and mineral block as her body is depleted from calcium because she is laying eggs.
Do everything you can to keep her out from under furniture and away from any areas that can be used as a nesting site.

I did a google-search for avian and exotic pet veterinarians in your area but wasn't successful.
If you can find a veterinarian that sees birds, you can ask if they can treat Ni with a Lupron injection to calm down her hormonal urges. If there is a zoo or a wildlife rescue that handles birds near you, you can check with them for help as well.
Check the link above which has information about on-line Avian Vets. One of them may be able to help you find a veterinarian in your area that can be of assistance.

You need to ensure she is eating a very balanced and nutritious diet.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

You need to limit her daylight hours to no more than 8 hours per day.
Ensure she is getting a calcium supplement in addition to her cuttlebone and mineral block as her body is depleted from calcium because she is laying eggs.
Do everything you can to keep her out from under furniture and away from any areas that can be used as a nesting site.

I did a google-search for avian and exotic pet veterinarians in your area but wasn't successful.
If you can find a veterinarian that sees birds, you can ask if they can treat Ni with a Lupron injection to calm down her hormonal urges. If there is a zoo or a wildlife rescue that handles birds near you, you can check with them for help as well.
Check the link above which has information about on-line Avian Vets. One of them may be able to help you find a veterinarian in your area that can be of assistance.

You need to ensure she is eating a very balanced and nutritious diet.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
This is very useful! Thank you for this!

·
Banned
0 Posts
I'm not that experienced with budgies myself, but my experience with other pets in the past is that if you want them to stop doing something, you have to offer a more attactive alternative. Just saying no (like you would when supervising her when she is out) often makes it more interesting to do the thing you want them to stop doing.

I thought of a few things you could try to offer a more attractive alternative:
  • Maybe you can make a playground outside her cage that is so awesome she really wants to be there instead of under furniture. Climbing opportunities, foraging toys with unresistable treats, her favorite shredding toy, a swing, toys she can throw around, intelligence toys and so on. To keep her even more busy, you can also look into teaching her to forage part of her regular food. You mentioned you are making a forraging tray, maybe you can use that for this purpose.
  • If she likes sitting under things, maybe you can provide an opportunity to do so in her cage, BUT in a way that does not lead to more hormonal behavior. If you have a platform perch, you could place a normal perch below that. In that way she has a "roof" above her but it isn't a nesting site. I really don't know if this would work, but it might be worth a try. If this is a stupid idea because it would promote more hormonal behavior, somebody more knowledgable on budgies will probably say so.
  • You could try clicker training and targetting. I saw a video where they trained a parrot to want to be on a playstand using this method. The reason for the training was different, but maybe you could train her to be at her playground in the same way. As the trainer says in the video "the long term goal is for her to fly here if she's out, because you might give her a treat".
You mentioned she gets bored with toys after a week. If you're not doing it already, you might want to change her toys for different ones weekly, so she has something 'new' to play with. You don't need to buy new toys every week to do that, just swap them out and use them again later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again you all ❤
I'm not that experienced with budgies myself, but my experience with other pets in the past is that if you want them to stop doing something, you have to offer a more attactive alternative. Just saying no (like you would when supervising her when she is out) often makes it more interesting to do the thing you want them to stop doing.

I thought of a few things you could try to offer a more attractive alternative:
  • Maybe you can make a playground outside her cage that is so awesome she really wants to be there instead of under furniture. Climbing opportunities, foraging toys with unresistable treats, her favorite shredding toy, a swing, toys she can throw around, intelligence toys and so on. To keep her even more busy, you can also look into teaching her to forage part of her regular food. You mentioned you are making a forraging tray, maybe you can use that for this purpose.
  • If she likes sitting under things, maybe you can provide an opportunity to do so in her cage, BUT in a way that does not lead to more hormonal behavior. If you have a platform perch, you could place a normal perch below that. In that way she has a "roof" above her but it isn't a nesting site. I really don't know if this would work, but it might be worth a try. If this is a stupid idea because it would promote more hormonal behavior, somebody more knowledgable on budgies will probably say so.
  • You could try clicker training and targetting. I saw a video where they trained a parrot to want to be on a playstand using this method. The reason for the training was different, but maybe you could train her to be at her playground in the same way. As the trainer says in the video "the long term goal is for her to fly here if she's out, because you might give her a treat".
You mentioned she gets bored with toys after a week. If you're not doing it already, you might want to change her toys for different ones weekly, so she has something 'new' to play with. You don't need to buy new toys every week to do that, just swap them out and use them again later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.