Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dark Eyed Clear male, only I'm not sure if he really is a DEC or a DF Spangle/Rec.Pied.

I'll be breeding him on the spring or summer.

I have three potential hens that will be ready by that time, which should I pair him with to better know exactly which mutation he is?

Albino masking cobalt opaline (Bred before)
Light green normal (Bred before)
YF1 cobalt recessive pied

I know if he is a DF Spangle then all chicks will be spangle, what if he is a DEC?

Will a DF Spangle/Rec.Pied appear to be a DEC? My male has solid black eyes, orange beak, pink feet and cere. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
can you post a picture? if he is a df spangle he would also be rec pied rather than split for rec pied (which is written df spangle/rec pied).

i imagine he could be either of your options, but if you breed it should be easy to tell. spangles is he is df spangle and clearflight pieds if he is a dec. just don't use a pied or a spangle hen as that would confuse things a bit! the light green normal is probably the best bet, the least mutations involved the better when trying to identify.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
From what I've read the DEC has the translucent pink/purple cere like your bird. Alas, so do recessive pieds so you may have the split suggested above. I've been looking into this as I may be adopting what appears to be a YF2 DEC white series. at least in pics.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He certainly looks like a dark eyed clear but double factor spangles that are masking recessive pied have the same characteristics. (Masking means the bird is both mutations but one can't be seen, it is not the same as split) The only way to be sure would be to breed from him

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
You're breeding Kenji!!! I am so excited! I'm breeding Ivory, so we'll be having two DEC or DFS/RP budgies! :giggle: We'll get to see what they really are. How fantastic! I was also wondering which female I should pair Ivory up with. Kenji's babies will be so darling!

But, no one has been able to answer your question (which is also mine) what will a true DEC breed?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He certainly looks like a dark eyed clear but double factor spangles that are masking recessive pied have the same characteristics. (Masking means the bird is both mutations but one can't be seen, it is not the same as split) The only way to be sure would be to breed from him
So if he is a df spangle then he is also recessive pied just masking it, not split for it got it! :D

You're breeding Kenji!!! I am so excited! I'm breeding Ivory, so we'll be having two DEC or DFS/RP budgies! :giggle: We'll get to see what they really are. How fantastic! I was also wondering which female I should pair Ivory up with. Kenji's babies will be so darling!

But, no one has been able to answer your question (which is also mine) what will a true DEC breed?
Tonic did mention it, she said they would be clearflight pieds :p

spangles is he is df spangle and clearflight pieds if he is a dec.
I'll be breeding him as soon as the weather gets warm enough to put half of the flock in the aviary, so probably in the summer! It is exciting :D

I'm hoping he is a df spangle, I want some spangles in my flock :p

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Mated to a normal a dark eyed clear would produce 50% clearflight pied & 50% normals

A double factor spangle masking recessive pied mated to a normal would produce 100% single factor spangles

Recessive pied would not show in either case unless the normal mate was split for recessive pied. All the chicks would be split for recessive pied

To add to the excitement both dark eyed clears & double factor spangles can be split for other mutations or they can mask other mutations

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.