Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... I thought I'd join the recipe group after perfecting my spaghetti sauce!

I usually eat pretty 'clean' and with my fitness lifestyle I make a lot of sacrifices of what I don't eat but rarely, so when I indulge in some good comfort food, I really look forward to it. I am excited to share with you my healthy, hearty, delicious and EASY sauce. Well, not exactly from scratch, but the way I put it all together and simmer really customizes it ;).

My ex and I used to make a similar sauce, and it was the best I'd ever tasted. I think mine is better now lol.

Do they have Hunt's canned tomato products available internationally? They're a large company, so I am guessing they might? If not, I appologize, and I think something similar will taste amazing as well :).

Before anyone thinks Hunt's? Canned :eek:? I'll tell you... when I was unsatisfied for a while looking for a way to make a really good sauce, I talked to a co-worker who was an amazing cook of Italian food, and she let me in on a little secret of hers, that besides scratch, Hunt's is the way to go! This recipe with this brand makes a more 'tangy' tasting rather than sweet sauce fyi :)

Lean (7%) ground beef 1 lb.

1 can Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce Garlic Herb flavor

1 can Hunt's Tomato Sauce

1 can no salt added Diced Tomatoes (I'm sure any brand is similar)

1 can sliced Mushrooms (I use big can, cause I LOVE mushrooms)

Fresh garlic and salt OR Garlic Salt to taste

In large pot, combine all canned products together and add garlic and/or seasoning to your preferred taste. Brown and crumble ground beef in skillet. Drain, then add cooked beef to the sauce. Cook just to a boil, then immediately turn down flame to simmer on low. Simmer uncovered for 1 - 1.5 hours. To let simmer is imperative, that is the 'secret' to this sauce! It makes the meat tender and infuses savory beef juices into the sauce, otherwise the beef will have a different 'mouth feel' and sauce will not come out nearly as good.

That's it!! Doesn't sound too impressive does it, since it sounds like I'm just opening cans LOL. BUT.... you'll be surprised. I am VERY picky about my pasta sauces, and even at an Italian restaurant I am rarely satisfied.

Okay, HOW to eat it.... get creative :D! You can of course use pasta or whole grain pasta, but it is also great on baked yams (I am sure regular potato would taste great too). Or, whole wheat breat and eat it like it's a bowl of chili or a Sloppy Joe sandwich.

Oh! Almost forgot... If you like cheese, add as a garnish on top. Either sprinkle Parmesan or any kind of sliced cheese to melt on top :).

If you're looking for an EASY, healthy and hearty meal, why not try it! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,431 Posts
Mm, I love spaghetti, Julie! This sounds lovely and I'll be sure to keep specifically Hunt's on hand ;)

Meat sauce is my favourite, as well :love:

I'm also really into healthy eating, so comfort food is always a treat :clap:

Now it's lunchtime around here, luckily, or I'd be starving after reading this. :giggle:

Thanks for sharing, Julie! :thumbsup:

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,539 Posts
Mmm...I can just smell it from here at work in City of Industry! Be at your place for lunch in 30mins, ok Jules?:p

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
The next time I break down and eat pasta, which I love but avoid, I will give this a shot. Thank's for sharing Julie...:)

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mm, I love spaghetti, Julie! This sounds lovely and I'll be sure to keep specifically Hunt's on hand ;)

Meat sauce is my favourite, as well :love:

I'm also really into healthy eating, so comfort food is always a treat :clap:

Now it's lunchtime around here, luckily, or I'd be starving after reading this. :giggle:

Thanks for sharing, Julie! :thumbsup:
Oh then you MUST try it Gigi! :D. I was surprised when it was recommended that I try Hunt's. I thought 'how could this be good, it's so cheap and comes in a can'. It is usually .99 or $1.00 everywhere. SO much cheaper than other sauces, and IMO, superior ;).

Mmm...I can just smell from here at work in City of Industry! Be at your place for lunch in 30mins, ok Jules?:p
Hahaha Nick, that must be the Taco Bell near you you're smelling :giggle:

The next time I break down and eat pasta, which I love but avoid, I will give this a shot. Thank's for sharing Julie...:)
Oh Randy, just break down and do it! You haven't had it in a while, right? What's one day? You deserve some pasta tonight. Go on... you know you want to! :D Let me know how it turns out!

I'm a real fussy eater and hate tomato, but I like to try new things. I might make some for my Mum. I think she'd like it. :D Thanks for sharing. If I give it a go, I'll let you know how it goes down. :D
I hate RAW tomato. It makes me angry to find raw tomato in my food :mad: lol. The exception is salsa and bruschetta cause it masks the raw tomato flavor :). Cooked tomatoes I love, but it does have a tendency to give a bit of an upset stomach cause of the acidity. I bet your mum would love to try it ;).

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I LOVE spaghetti!! I will definitely try this recipe. Never thought about adding chopped canned tomatoes to the mix, but it makes sense :thumbsup:
I love lots of parmesan cheese on mine :D Thanks for the recipe!
Dee, please let me know if you try this! Actually, the diced tomatoes were discovered by "accident", but they happened to be just what it needed to make it go from really good to great (IMO :))!

Once I had forgotten to buy the small can of tomato sauce to add to the spaghetti sauce, so I looked in the cupboard and found these "no salt added Diced Tomatoes" and decided to experiment.... my mom gave them to me once, and I thought 'what in the world am I going to do with these?' LOL :D. The way it turned out thank goodness she gave me those! It still does need the 4 oz can of tomato sauce as well, to make the consistency perfect.

·
Administrator
56,472 Posts
Sounds good! :p

When I make sauce I always use the Hunts Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano.
I saute fresh garlic first, add chopped onions, however many cans of the Hunts B, G & O Diced Tomatoes then add additional basil and oregano to the sauce. ;) Since I don't use additional Sauce and often don't add tomato paste, I simmer mine for several hours to let it cook down and thicken.

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds great Deborah :D.

The tomato sauce I use is usually the B,G&O but depending on where I buy it, some stores only have the plain kind. However, the main Spaghetti Sauce I prefer the Garlic and Herb flavor :). I've tried some of their other flavors, and they're actually all good, but the G&H is my favorite.

As far as the diced tomatoes, I have to try it in B,G&O :). I usually hate 'no salt added', but those diced tomatoes were surprisingly good being plain like that. They really add to the tangy flavor, and I LOVE anything tart or sour :p

When my ex and I used to make the sauce, we always used fresh garlic too. Lately I've just done it the lazy way and used Lawry's Garlic Salt instead. Real garlic is of course best!

I sometimes also use artichoke hearts. Cut them up in small pieces. Onions are good too. I'm usually satisfied with just the mushrooms though :).

Today I ate it as an open face sandwich, on some wheat bread. Mmmm

·
Administrator
56,472 Posts
The main Spaghetti Sauce I prefer the Garlic and Herb flavor :). I've tried some of their other flavors, and they're actually all good, but the G&H is my favorite.
I'll definitely try the Garlic and Herb flavored Spaghetti Sauce based on your recommendation. I love mushrooms too, and I like artichokes so everything you've written sounds very Yummmmy!

Pasta is my favorite food and I generally eat it in some form every day.
And no - I don't weigh 800 lbs. :laughing:

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Deborah :laughing2: 800 hahaha!!

I just remembered another style of sauce... Instead of the ground beef, I will use sausage. JennieO Italian Turkey sausage, and I also like Aidel's Apple Chicken Sausage. This one is good with onions and veggies. Put fennel seed in it too. It makes an entirely different tasting sauce than my meat sauce, but it's different for a change.

OH!! I almost forgot to mention! I often use kale in spaghetti sauce (and soup). I don't remember how I started doing it, but it's really good in sauce (if you like veggies ;)).

I bought some pasta the other day made of quinoa! I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds interesting. Has anyone heard of quinoa pasta? I like quinoa, so I hope it's good.

·
Super Moderator
18,431 Posts
I just wanted to contribute definitely relevant information:
Tomatos are the scourge of the earth
They taint the world red with their birth
Every time a plant sprouts
I give out a shout
And laugh with much humourless mirth.

It's not the tomatoes, truly, it's not
They're quite good in ketchup or sauce in a pot
But when they are raw
It's their most fatal flaw
And, frankly, I wish they'd all rot.​

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted to contribute definitely relevant information:
Tomatos are the scourge of the earth
They taint the world red with their birth
Every time a plant sprouts
I give out a shout
And laugh with much humourless mirth.

It's not the tomatoes, truly, it's not
They're quite good in ketchup or sauce in a pot
But when they are raw
It's their most fatal flaw
And, frankly, I wish they'd all rot.​
:bowrofl: HAHAHAHA Gigi that is perfectly said about those vile red fruit! I'm so glad you understand how I feel when I order a salad and forget to tell them NO tomatoes, and they come all chopped up and mixed in, and there's so many it looks like I asked for extra raw tomato :(... an hour later I'm done picking them out and ready to eat. :laughing2:

·
Super Moderator
18,431 Posts
:bowrofl: HAHAHAHA Gigi that is perfectly said about those vile red fruit! I'm so glad you understand how I feel when I order a salad and forget to tell them NO tomatoes, and they come all chopped up and mixed in, and there's so many it looks like I asked for extra raw tomato :(... an hour later I'm done picking them out and ready to eat. :laughing2:
I agree! Forgetting to tell the server no tomatoes is a crisis unto itself! :mad: The worst bit is when all the gloppy seedy bits mix around with the lettuce and you can't very well pick those out, can you?! :eek:

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree! Forgetting to tell the server no tomatoes is a crisis unto itself! :mad: The worst bit is when all the gloppy seedy bits mix around with the lettuce and you can't very well pick those out, can you?! :eek:
A crisis indeed! Ewww tomato seeds in that disgusting gelatinous mass :(.

There aren't too many foods that I absolutely hate, but I have to say that the top 2 flavors I can't stand (and oh how I've tried to like it) is raw tomato, and beer.

·
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will probably be making this spaghetti sometime this week. Don't know about kale in it though:eek: lol. Ground beef will do:p
Great Dee! I can't wait to hear about it :D! .....without kale of course hehee.

Hunts? Nothing called Hunts available in the UK. I make my own sauce!! ;)
Oh well, no Hunt's. I'm sure if I moved to the UK, I'd find something similar for you :). I'll bet your sauce made from scratch is even better :). Why don't you post a thread how YOU make your sauce? There are literally SO many ways to make a pasta sauce. Deborah's sounds good too, more chunky than saucy. I'd love that on angel hair pasta!

I am literally salivating here now ugh! I want some more of my sauce, I'm getting a BAD craving, but I ran out yesterday! Might need to make some more haha.

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,230 Posts
No Hunts here in Greece too :) I use some brands called "Pummaro", "Barilla" and "Kyknos"! And all these if I run out of my tomato sauce! I still have some of my own, so I use them instead :) I love tomato paste, I always add some of it with a pinch of sugar, to reduce the acidity!
We make a recipe here like yours, it's called "Makaronia me kima" and I make them with fresh onion, garlic and red peppers. Or I make the sauce and use it to make Pasticcio or Lasagna :) Now you gave me a good idea to make it next week!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.