Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told that this budgie hatched from the egg laid by a SF Spangle hen paired to a yellow DF Spangle.

The yellow one is the father

I don't have a picture of the hen.

The father appears to be a DF Spangle, but the cheek patch seems slightly blue and not white...the owner says the cheek patch looks white now.

And do I see some striping on the head, or layered feathers?

Either way the owner said that the pair produced 2 SF Spangles, 2 DF Spangles and that chick, which I think is a Normal Opaline Yellowface 2 Cobalt?

Does this happen a lot?

I asked the owner if he breeds different pairs in the same cage, he said he doesn't.

A different breeder commented that he can say that this bird comes from a Spangle heritage. He has bred a lot of spangles, so he says he can notice certain things that are hard to explain.

So I cannot understand the genetics.

This bird seems opaline, and it's a hen I think...so it must mean at least the dad is either visually opaline or split to opaline...and if he is a DF Spangle, then he is masking Opaline too.

And as far as I know, a DF Spangle and SF Spangle pairing can produce 50% SF Spangles and 50% DF Spangles.

And a DF Spangle paired to a Normal would produce 100% SF Spangles.

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
I don't know a lot about budgie genetics, but I'm pretty sure a DF Spangle cannot produce a normal wing marked bird.

I'm sure some of the experts will come along with more info.

The bird is very pretty!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know a lot about budgie genetics, but I'm pretty sure a DF Spangle cannot produce a normal wing marked bird.

I'm sure some of the experts will come along with more info.

The bird is very pretty!
Ditto.

The only possibility I can think of is that the father and the mother are both SF Spangles...that would explain the Normal opaline, SF Spangles and DF Spangles in the clutch.
Waiting for him to upload pictures of the parents.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
You are right it is impossible to have a normal from any DF parent, every chick would get the gene :)

DF spangles do not have cheek patches or striping like that either so he does not even look like a DF spangle. He must be a mix of spangle, pied some kind of dilute etc. With so few markings it's almost impossible to know for sure what all he is except for the breeding results :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right it is impossible to have a normal from any DF parent, every chick would get the gene :)

DF spangles do not have cheek patches or striping like that either so he does not even look like a DF spangle. He must be a mix of spangle, pied some kind of dilute etc. With so few markings it's almost impossible to know for sure what all he is except for the breeding results :)
That's what I thought as well.

Now I'll jut have to wait for the pictures.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
He's defo not a double factor spangle.

When they say this pair produced double factor spangles are they hens and could they be Inos?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
A double factor spangle cannot produce a normal opaline so either he is not a double factor spangle or the egg was fertilized by a different **** bird

The **** bird could be a dominant pied spangle dilute or something similar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.