Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to tell the difference besides the darkness of the stripes? my bird is a bit in the middle and i cant tell

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Greywing budgies are just what they sound like; budgies with grey wing markings instead of black. Their bodies will also be about 50% lighter than usual.

Clearwings are easy to confuse with greywings as their wing markings are light colored. The difference is that a clearwing budgie's body color remains strong

Attachments

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greywing budgies are just what they sound like; budgies with grey wing markings instead of black. Their bodies will also be about 50% lighter than usual.

Clearwings are easy to confuse with greywings as their wing markings are light colored. The difference is that a clearwing budgie's body color remains strong
thanks but there is also another type called full body coloured greywings which also have bright body colour just like clearwing which i cant tell if thats what my bird is or just clearwing :budgie: he looks to dark for a clearwing but a bit light for greywing

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
light green grey wind..but then again it does look a little bright so may be full body greywing. not sure which one:) but i think some sort of greywing:D

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually tasha, i jus looked and you replyed to my other thread, you said he was a greywing. lol thanks!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
50 years ago the clearwing mutation had only very faint grey wing markings but unfortunately now most clearwings have markings that are almost as dark as greywings. The main difference in the two mutations is that the body colour of the greywing is diluted about 50% but the clearwing is not. A full body greywing is a combination of the two mutations and has greywings and bright body colour. Most examples shown on the web are not very good at showing the difference.

Here are 3 pictures of my birds the 1st is greywing, 2nd is clearwing and 3rd is full body greywing:

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
50 years ago the clearwing mutation had only very faint grey wing markings but unfortunately now most clearwings have markings that are almost as dark as greywings. The main difference in the two mutations is that the body colour of the greywing is diluted about 50% but the clearwing is not. A full body greywing is a combination of the two mutations and has greywings and bright body colour. Most examples shown on the web are not very good at showing the difference.

Here are 3 pictures of my birds the 1st is greywing, 2nd is clearwing and 3rd is full body greywing:

thanks i reckon he is full body greywing. the bird in the third pic is cool, looks like a combination of my 2 birds lol! is he/she violet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.