Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many people are interested in the difference between the English and American budgie. Here is a photo showing the size and shape difference. On the left is a normal cobalt English female budgie. At the right is a normal violet American male budgie. As you can see the American is smaller than the English and the English has a more pronounced forehead and chest with more cheek patches. Hope this helps.

·
Member of the Month July 2008
8,357 Posts
Thanks!!

I always think the difference between my two budgies is huge. But with these two it is hard to believe they are the same kind of bird.
Do you know how much each of them weighs?

Sigrid

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sue if i ever come to canada im getting you an english!!! even if it kills me hehe.. that way your parents cant refue ;)..

sue.. your Kara wouldnt look as small next to that english dont you think?

·
<3's her 4 fids
915 Posts
That's awesome
Thanks for posting that, my friend was wondering about the different between english and american, i will show her this today haha

·
Budgie Addict :)
6,526 Posts
Great picture to compare the two. They are gorgeous.:D

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Sue if i ever come to canada im getting you an english!!! even if it kills me hehe.. that way your parents cant refue ;)..

sue.. your Kara wouldnt look as small next to that english dont you think?
OMGOSH i hope you come to Canada in the next few weeks! :D
i think my kara would just be a tiny big smaller than that english... :eek: My kiki is probably 2/3 the size of the American budgie :eek: kara is freakshily big for an American while Kiki is super small :eek:

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts
I'm down to just one English hen in the aviary... her sister died a last year or so ago. She's definatly the boss of the aviary! any other budgie comes on her perch, she lets them have it!

Great pic :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What a gorgeous picture :D I love English and Americans the same, I just can't pick which I like best!

My English(Part English) baby and my American baby :p

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
Hey, thanks for writing that up. I knew English budgies were bigger, but when you compare then to American, it makes them look so much bigger! Thanks for the pictures showing the difference:)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hi
Can i just ask though, is it true that english budgies dont live as long??
Yes this is true generally speaking. Although the main reason is because english budgies are generally part of a breeding program and breeding reduces the life span of a bird (takes a toll on their health). A bird that hasnt bred will usually out-live a bird that has raised many young and passed on its genes! I think it is hardwire in the genes that a species tries to live as long as it can if it hasnt had the chance to breed.

Some people also think that being bigger and having so much feather may put more strain on the metabolic system of a show budgie and this may be true. Personally i think it is unlikely, but i dont doubt it plays at least some role in the lifespan of a bird. Smaller birds do tend to be more active it would seem however!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Do people ever mixbreed them? Because Gracie is bigger that willie, not by much, but still, has a bigger beak, and bigger feet. Do you think she is a mix?
There is size variation among both pet and english budgies. You can have big pet types and small show types. Usually the small show types are the same size as the big pet types. Its hard to say what breeding your gracie is, but there is a chance willie is smaller or she is bigger than the normal pet type :)

People cross them all the time. Even professional show breeders with english normals and opalines or cinnamons may decide they want to try breeding fallows or some other rare variety and they may only be able to find small pet types which they will start to cross over with their english birds to improve size and feathering etc.

I love reading accounts of these breeding attempts as there is a great deal of thought and work put in to the breeding program. I myself have pet types and show types (english) in my aviary, although i havent crossed them.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm almost positive that Zeus is a boy so I'm going to breed him with Athena. But I was thinking of crossbreeding Athena with Kingsley to try and produce a violet english bird. We will see Athena isn't old enough to breed just yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.