Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any differences between dominant pieds and recessive pieds, other than irises (present in DPs)?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
All pieds have a spot on the back of the head. Recessive pieds either have a much larger spot, also known as the 'thumb print' which sometimes is not easily seen as they have so many clear feathers it doesnt look like they have a spot at all - just a contination of clear feathers from the body up the neck and head.

Dominant pieds tend to have a clear band across the belly, although this can vary to small patches of color instead of a solid band, or a very wide band almost up to the chest/neck. They also have clear flight feathers, and sometimes clear wings, although clear feathers on the wings usually dont extend very far. And they have the classic clear feather 'spot' on their head.

Recessive pieds typically have clear feathers on their chest and body color present only on the rump area. The wings can have few to no markings, as well as the back and neck. Markings on recessive pieds tend to vary a lot more than dominant pieds. Recessives can range from having very little clear feathers, to being almost completely clear of color and markings. If they have a spot, it is quite large as above, they lack irises, have orange beaks (and pink feet if i recall rightly), and the males cere is different - typically a pinky/purple as opposed to blue.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
These are my two dominant pieds (Noelle and her son, Brett). Both have irises.

Interestingly, Brett's only blue (unsure whether cobalt or sky blue) coloring is on his rump. He has clear flight feathers and a few rows of black bar feathers on top of his head. Do any of these traits seem abnormal for a DP?

Noelle seems to have more clear areas than cobalt areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
All pieds have a spot on the back of the head. Recessive pieds either have a much larger spot, also known as the 'thumb print' which sometimes is not easily seen as they have so many clear feathers it doesnt look like they have a spot at all - just a contination of clear feathers from the body up the neck and head.

Dominant pieds tend to have a clear band across the belly, although this can vary to small patches of color instead of a solid band, or a very wide band almost up to the chest/neck. They also have clear flight feathers, and sometimes clear wings, although clear feathers on the wings usually dont extend very far. And they have the classic clear feather 'spot' on their head.

Recessive pieds typically have clear feathers on their chest and body color present only on the rump area. The wings can have few to no markings, as well as the back and neck. Markings on recessive pieds tend to vary a lot more than dominant pieds. Recessives can range from having very little clear feathers, to being almost completely clear of color and markings. If they have a spot, it is quite large as above, they lack irises, have orange beaks (and pink feet if i recall rightly), and the males cere is different - typically a pinky/purple as opposed to blue.
As I stated correctly above, Dean, they have a spot ontop of their head.
I shared the knowledge I knew, Im sorry it wasnt as detailed.

These are my two dominant pieds (Noelle and her son, Brett). Both have irises.

Interestingly, Brett's only blue (unsure whether cobalt or sky blue) coloring is on his rump. He has clear flight feathers and a few rows of black bar feathers on top of his head. Do any of these traits seem abnormal for a DP?

Noelle seems to have more clear areas than cobalt areas.
Gracie doesn't have a noticeable iris, Where as (male) George does.
I Think Brett may be recessive?

This is my DOMINANT pied Male
No band on belly.

Spot on head.

This is my RECESSIVE pied Female

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.