Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ask for identification of a couple of my birds in another thread. someone suggested that this bird is a dilute, but the bird was too young at that stage to be sure. I've updated that thread with these two pics, but no one react on that.
If it is dilute, does that mean that both parents must carry the gene dilute? The mother is a YF albino and the father is a GF FB Violet Greywing.
Does dilutes always have greenish wiings? The reason for asking is that I have another bird who looks the same, but the body colour is either cobalt or violet - still too young to be certain.
The flight feathers are also "clear". Is it possible that it can be a clearflight pied as well. The brother of the hen is a clearflight, so maybe she is masking clearflight = although I don't think so, because there are no other pied markings that I can see.
Thank you for answering all my "stupid" questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greywing and dilute are not different terms for the same thing. The markings are too light to be a greywing - that's what I think. Might be wrong.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure - don't think so, because greywing is dominant over dilute.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Looks like a dilute to me. Sometimes if cinnamon & greywing are combined you can get a similar effect but it's more likely to be just dilute. It could also be opaline but as the markings are so light it is hard to be sure.

The markings are too light for a greywing

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Nev.
To be dilute both parents must carry the dilute gene, right? Is it also possible for a bird to have the greywing, clearwing and dilute genes? The reason for asking is that the father is a FB greywing. To be FB he has to have the clearwing gene if I understood Toni's explanation. Is it possible for him to also be /dilute?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Yes both parents must have the dilute gene. Any mutation can be split for dilute

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.