Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm Destiny! I'm new on this forum and I'm also a first-time budgie owner. Up until now, I've had 6 rabbits, but this is my first time owning a pair of budgies. I have a green budgie named Mango and a blue one named Boba. I cleaned their cage the third day we brought them home because there was poop everywhere, but I realized after I put them back into their new, clean cage, Boba's bottom side was covered in wet, sticky poop. Since she wasn't really used to me yet, I gave her millet through the cage bars and she clung onto the side of the cage, giving me access to cleaning her bottom with a wet Q-tip. I got most of it off, but then a few days later, her bottom was all covered again. I'm not exactly sure of the terminology of what to call this, but through some short research, I found out that stress pooping can also be called venting (I think). It's been a few weeks now and I've just constantly been cleaning her bottom and the cycle happens over and over again. Now she's more comfortable with me and my vet suggested that I trim the feathers near her vent, and that helped a bit, but once they grew back in, it was all covered in poop. I showed the pictures to my vet and at first, she asked if there were any mites down there because in the photo, it looks almost like maggots, but that's just matted fur before I cleaned her vent. I'll attach a photo of what it looks like when it's dirty. Does anybody have this problem or know what to do? Is this a really extreme case or is it mild? Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Where did you get the birds? The loose poop that sometimes occurs when you first bring a new bird home should have passed by now and things should have returned to normal. She really needs to be examined by an avian vet and her droppings should be tested by the vet by doing a gram stain test on them, this will uncover anything that may be abnormal, whether it may be a parasite or an infection of some sort, you should not let this continue without getting it checked out. What are you feeding the birds? If there are no avian vets where you are look for a vet that treats exotics as they usually have a vet on staff that has experience with birds.

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi Destiny and welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on Boba and Mango. Cody has given you great advice above and I agree with her completely.

Meanwhile, you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and stickies to ensure you're up to date on everything. If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Best wishes! Please keep us posted on how Boba and Mango are doing. 👋

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. Where did you get the birds? The loose poop that sometimes occurs when you first bring a new bird home should have passed by now and things should have returned to normal. She really needs to be examined by an avian vet and her droppings should be tested by the vet by doing a gram stain test on them, this will uncover anything that may be abnormal, whether it may be a parasite or an infection of some sort, you should not let this continue without getting it checked out. What are you feeding the birds? If there are no avian vets where you are look for a vet that treats exotics as they usually have a vet on staff that has experience with birds.
Hi, nice to meet you! I got my birds from a friend who had to move away to an apartment that wouldn't allow birds because of how loud they can get, but she got them from Petco. I go to the same vet that I take my rabbits to, and she is licensed and educated to treat exotic animals, which in her practice includes rabbits, mice, amphibians, birds, and small reptiles. I'm increasingly worried because she isn't specifically an avian vet and she's just telling me to clean up Boba's vent and trim her feathers. I feed my birds a selection of bird seeds and at times a few ounces of lettuce, strawberries, bananas, and blueberries. Thank you so much for your advice! I'll ask for a test next time I take her to the vet!

Hi Destiny and welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on Boba and Mango. Cody has given you great advice above and I agree with her completely.

Meanwhile, you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and stickies to ensure you're up to date on everything. If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Best wishes! Please keep us posted on how Boba and Mango are doing. 👋
Thank you so much for that warm welcome! I'll be sure to check out more of the forums pages! Also, your budgie is so beautiful!

Are budgies from Petco and large pet store chains more prone to diseases or illnesses? I've heard people say not to buy animals from pet stores but unfortunately, I didn't have the choice to adopt this time or look into other options.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Pasting of the vent can be a sign of crop infection, a nutritional deficiency or dehydration.
Pasting of the Vent
Evaluation of Bird Droppings, An Indicator of Heath

I agree with Cody and advise you to look for an Avian Veterinarian in your area.
Avian Association of Veterinarians

The Avian Physical Examination

I understand you rehomed these budgies from a friend so the information in the link is simply to give you educational background to answer the question you asked.
Thank you for taking the budgies in and giving them a safe and loving home. 💜 💜

Budgies from big box pet stores come from bird-mills.

Why buy from Reputable/Ethical Breeders rather than Big Box pet stores.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Large pet store chains get the birds they sell from bird mills , which are not nice places. I find the response from your vet very questionable and would search for another. You can use this link to search for one https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
Thank you so much for the link! I was able to find an avian vet about 15 miles away from where I live so I'm going to make an appointment there! I've heard about puppy mills but never about bird mills, so I'll dig up some research on that as well :)

Pasting of the vent can be a sign of crop infection, a nutritional deficiency or dehydration.
Pasting of the Vent
Evaluation of Bird Droppings, An Indicator of Heath

I agree with Cody and advise you to look for an Avian Veterinarian in your area.
Avian Association of Veterinarians

The Avian Physical Examination

I understand you rehomed these budgies from a friend so the information in the link is simply to give you educational background to answer the question you asked.
Thank you for taking the budgies in and giving them a safe and loving home. 💜 💜

Budgies from big box pet stores come from bird-mills.

Why buy from Reputable/Ethical Breeders rather than Big Box pet stores.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Wow! Thank you so much for the helpful links! I've been browsing Talk Budgies all day and I've found some really useful info on how I could improve their housing and environment also. I find this forum so helpful and I really appreciate all the advice :):)

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
You're very welcome.
I'm glad you are finding the forums helpful.
If, after reading through the stickies and budgie articles you have questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Please let us know how things go with your Avian Vet visit for Bobo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts